1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod Cable (Connects 2) Help

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by cjrob, Oct 12, 2009.

1. cjrob

cjrob Member

I have purchased one of these leads

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/iPod_MP3_Adaptors/audi.htm

its the CTAADIPOD003 which aparently fits stereos from 97 - 05 A4s

I have a 98 Concert Tape player with a 6 dics changer in the boot but cant see where they cables are meant to fit into the HU.

does anybody have pics or guides to help, the instructions which came with the cables and box aint very good

tia
    :icon_thumright:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

Bloody hell... you get ALL that just to fit an iPod to the standard headuint?

I just got one lead for my Blaupunkt which looked like the single light blue connector on it's own.

The rest looks like it allows the iPod system to piggy-back the existing cables.

I think it's a matter of taking your h/u out and comparing the connectors up...

4. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

I was going to do the same but I bought a sony hu with an input instead. I was going ti connect it to the lead which goes to the changet in the boot as thats what the soundlab technician told me.

5. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

you usually need to unplug the changer harness from the back of the headunit and either run unline or standalone , iknow some of the kits they do say for prewired and in which case fits at the changer end but im pretty sure yours connects at the headunit . Its the long one at the top , it will only fit in one position , just line it up and if it has a black bare cable coming off then this has to be earther too.

6. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

forgot to say tho , it just mimicks a ch changer so its not that easy to navigate through ipods or usbs. If your not bothered about looks you could replace with a much better ipod headunit which is fast and has full control.

7. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

That would be a good option. 100% agree. Got mine from halfrauds for 130. Sony. Not a bad hu. Direct ipod controll too!

8. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

My Blaupunkt h/u doesn't control the iPod... but I think I prefer it that way anyway... at least when Rach is in the car, she can fiddle with it without getting in the way of the gearstick! - and no, that's not a euphemism! :think:

9. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Messing with an ipod while your driving though isnt very easy or safe, whereas headunits are generally designed such that the main functions are relatively easy to access so skipping tracks and suchlike can be done by the driver without too much reaching/fumbling around...

10. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

...there's a thing on the iPod called a 'playlist'... :icon_thumright:

11. jcb

jcb Active Member
    VCDS Map User

i have a tape-to-audiojack link in my concert stereo, took the face off and buried the cable under all the centre console panels and out near the ash tray.
    Ipod sits in front of the gear stick and has about six inches of cable that sits under the ashtray. rarely pick it up, just skip forward to the next track when on random/playlist.

works a charm.

12. aragorn

My ipod tends to sit on shuffle. Theres far too much music on there to sit and make up playlists, so it either sits on shuffle for general choonage, or i'll select a particular album/artist if i want something particular.

Saying that though, its rarely in the car. I baught an Aux-Lead for my pioneer hu just like geeman's setup, but unfortunately theres some kinda impedence missmatch meaning even with the special ipod pocketdock i baught to get a real line out, you need the head unit cranked up to the "blow the feckin doors off" setting to hear it at a decent volume, then invariably the next time you get in the car without the ipod and click source to flip the radio on you blow the feckin doors off.

I fancy an in-car-computer of some form, but i've yet to iron out the fine details, and i need to do an aircon retrofit before i can begin so i've got enough room for a screen.

13. cjrob

cjrob Member

yes it was, thats what I get for trying to install it in the dark!!!! managed to fit it tonight, feel a bit stupid actually

I do have an Alpine HU out of my previous car I just cant find the time to do a proper install (I have 2 amps, good components and 2 subs I would love to install into the Audi) so the Ipod connector was a suitable alternative I guess

14. Rallyman

Rallyman LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM

Hey guys, dont forget the ONE & ONLY:

PHATNOISE.......... :p

Id rather get a PN insted of little box costing £100 as well as my ipod!!!

JCB... thats a great idea for running a converter like that..... I have just got one for £5 from tesco's and may well do what you have!

Aragorn ... good point on using the ipod in the car.... I have a iphone and its a pain in the A**e when one of my sons Nursery Rhymes come blarring though when its on shouffle ........ Doh!

Michael

15. aragorn

Hasnt the phatnoise been discontinued?

16. Rallyman

Rallyman LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM

i think so but there is a few on e**y!