1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad install in a B5 RS4

The Chippy Jan 6, 2013

1. The Chippy

The Chippy New Member

2. robbiemac

robbiemac 'S' Button engaged....

That is the absolute dogs plumbs............ Love it:thumbsup:

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

i've considered this before, but i wonder how practical it is?

For instance i regularly retune the radio while driving, and because they're physical buttons i dont need to look at the head unit at all, i just reach out, feel for the control and click it.

With a tablet/touchscreen your going to have to look at it to do anything as the screen provides no tactile feedback? volume control gets adjusted a lot, and a tablet provides no easy way to do that?

I must admit it would be very cool to have something like that mounted right there in the dash. As you say, it stems from the carputers of old, and i always wanted one but never quite managed to find suitable hardware cheaply enough. Nowadays you can get cheap chinese android tablets new for about £100, and you have a nice in dash entertainment and navigation centre!

The other concern would be the lack of a radio and CD player. Most of my music is on USB, but i do from time to time just grab a CD and chuck it in. A proper carputer would get round these issues, as you could mount a CD drive and a FM reciever somewhere pretty easily, not so easy with a tablet though...

4. barkclark

barkclark Active Member

hats off to you. this is fantastic!

5. Andy1608

Andy1608 Active Member

This would look cool on the A3 8v if you could have it slide up out of the dash