1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad install in a B5 RS4

Discussion in 'The Project Room' started by The Chippy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. The Chippy

The Chippy New Member

2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. robbiemac

robbiemac 'S' Button engaged....

[Jan 7, 2013]
    That is the absolute dogs plumbs............ Love it:thumbsup:
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 17, 2013]
    i've considered this before, but i wonder how practical it is?

For instance i regularly retune the radio while driving, and because they're physical buttons i dont need to look at the head unit at all, i just reach out, feel for the control and click it.

With a tablet/touchscreen your going to have to look at it to do anything as the screen provides no tactile feedback? volume control gets adjusted a lot, and a tablet provides no easy way to do that?

I must admit it would be very cool to have something like that mounted right there in the dash. As you say, it stems from the carputers of old, and i always wanted one but never quite managed to find suitable hardware cheaply enough. Nowadays you can get cheap chinese android tablets new for about £100, and you have a nice in dash entertainment and navigation centre!

The other concern would be the lack of a radio and CD player. Most of my music is on USB, but i do from time to time just grab a CD and chuck it in. A proper carputer would get round these issues, as you could mount a CD drive and a FM reciever somewhere pretty easily, not so easy with a tablet though...
  5. barkclark

barkclark Active Member

[Nov 20, 2013]
    hats off to you. this is fantastic!
  6. Andy1608

Andy1608 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2014]
    This would look cool on the A3 8v if you could have it slide up out of the dash