Internals needed to achieve a reliable 350hp on an AMK code motor??

welshy_s3

Reaction score
Hi, i'm just after a bit of advice off people who have achieved the 350hp mark in their s3's and basically the sort of internals that are good for the job. I'm aware that the stock rods are choclate, as the spare engine I origanally removed from the car failed due to a rod! But what else apart from rods is needed to make a pretty strong everyday 350hp motor? Your comments and views would be much appreciated!!

Depending on turbo choice, and the revs required to meet your goals, many would argue that rods are the only internal mod required for a 'safe' 350bhp.

The limit of the stock valve train is said to be 7800rpm, so if you can reliably and safely achieve your 350bhp before 7800rpm then rods and a well built engine are what you need.

If you like corners and cornering then a baffled sump is a good buy to protect your investment, build the engine well, replacing things like the oil pump and rings that people often don't bother with, and bolt in a good clutch that will cope with the torque you're expecting, and you should be good to go.

Internally, all mine has is forged rifle drilled rods on a tuffty-Built lump and a baffled gated sump, it's the ancillaries that get you the power :)

Biggest issues with std valve train is guide wear... guides on 20v's can wear quite badly which is fine for normal rev limits but at higher limits the valve will wobble about a lot more and not seat right with the potential to knock the heads off....

<tuffty/>

I'm wondering if this will be an issue for me Paul, considering my engine spends a LOT of time between 6-7k!

rods and new shells all you need as a minimum.... and of course a suitable turbo setup to deliver the power.
fuel pump is on the edge of being adequate for this power so consider one of these also, and injectors etc etc etc

Thank you for the input guys, atleast now I know what to start with! What kind of turbo set up would be fairly healthy for this figure??