Internal shattered plastic rear led?

steviedr

Reaction score
Hi,
Noticed the oddest thing today.
I treat my saloon well, had her last decent clean last week.
Putting the groceries away today and noticed internal cracking along the top left rear moving round the side and a wee bit at the bottom and on the bottom right led.
I've had no impacts.
Even if some hit me while not there, they would have marked the bumper and if they only hit the lights what are the chances of hitting both.
I can only assume it's one of two things.
My power washer which I've always used has somehow created this damage or shutting the boot which I suspect has caused it.
But surely shutting a boot is expected?
It's smooth to touch on the outside, not one mark.
Showed it to my local dealer and they are at a loss. £175 per light !
While I would like Audi to sort it, looks like I can't go under warranty.
Has anyone experienced this, is it a design flaw?
It's the launch salon 2.0tdi sline.
I'm gutted, if I have to pay, will it happen again? I tend to shut the boot with the same energy, maybe if I had the kids and was in a rush I may have shut it more vigorously.
f04e0841f6e29635f326eec157eec149.jpg
dd5fdcd2c881ebd04f67217945f6de01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the friction welding of lens to lamp housing is coming away and has been breached by moisture - I'll certainly be looking for Audi to remedy this.

Reactions: batch and pburv
Thanks Rob, any suggestions are appreciated.
I'll suggest this to Audi.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Thanks Rob, any suggestions are appreciated.
I'll suggest this to Audi.

Is the lens in contact with the other lens that's on the wing when closing the boot? (if you know what I mean)..:shrug:

Reactions: steviedr and Rob2k68
if they only hit the lights what are the chances of hitting both.

f04e0841f6e29635f326eec157eec149.jpg
dd5fdcd2c881ebd04f67217945f6de01.jpg

Are those pictures of 1 light or both? I'm trying to work the angles out, be better standing a little bit further back and getting the full light/lights in.

I sent some pictures of a paint defect to Audi UK and then wanted to see a bigger part of the panel rather than it up close.

I've seen damage to rear lights in work like that, normally after they have been dropped on the floor! Have you tried putting your hands flat on the light and pushing up and down to see if there's any movement with them? The ones we fit are torqued up with an electric gun, sometimes it breaks off (showing torqued up) but if the battery is going flat it's not always 100%. I'm thinking if this has happened it may be loose screws holding it in, then when you have slammed the boot the light has bounced and hit the metal of the body resulting in the damage.

Either way I'd now be contacting Audi UK rather than the local dealership.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant, pburv and steviedr
Here's a few more.
I've had a feel for movement and there's a very very slight movement on the left one but the actual boot moves so really having to apply force but you can feel the slight movement rather than see it if that makes sense - I don't think I'm imagining it :)
But the left part that's connected to the left panel is solid. And they don't rub (I think that's what you mentioned @pbruv ).
The right hand one doesn't seem to move at all.
27d78f242a7f7bf854657554fc14b333.jpg
e134b9b3f9f4b9187b04d8e8031e4537.jpg
721c86a7312d8dbc61eb8cad54187992.jpg

And right hand side just before bottom left
6abe96b2d6eba48eec7708d8b6a51af8.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
@S32B when you say contact Audi UK (sorry newish to this kind of thing), would that be due to local maybe trying to give the runaround so they don't have to pay or just UK has more clout?
I purchased from Essex but live in Dundee, but assuming any Audi garage would sort it, but I'm guessing that?

Reactions: pburv
Yeah any garage can sort it under warranty, all they do is get the repair authorised by Audi UK, do the work and then bill them.

As said contact Audi UK either by phone or email and let them know what has gone on, they will want to sort is ASAP, even tell them about being a member on here and that you have made a post about it and people are following the outcome!

Easiest way to explain: Basically see Audi UK as the big boss, all the dealerships country wide are like franchises that Audi let sell their cars, so if they are doing a bad job then the boss wants to know! If they keep doing a bad job they can sack them/take the franchise off them. It's all about protecting their reputation and keeping their customers happy.

I had a problem and wasn't getting anywhere with the local dealership, I contacted Audi UK and it was sorted within days. Then the local dealership at their cost gave me an R8 for the day as a way of saying sorry...obviously they had been given a telling off lol.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/contact-us/contact-us-form.html

Reactions: pburv and steviedr
Many thanks @S32B, wouldn't mind a slight delay if I thought I'd have an R8 for the day !

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Many thanks @S32B, wouldn't mind a slight delay if I thought I'd have an R8 for the day !

No problem mate ;), this is the thread with the R8 :) (pics down the thread) http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/result-plus-some.244818/#post-2461813

And the reason I had it: I noticed this on collection day and asked for a new alloy...they dragged their heels but I got a new one after contacting Audi UK :)

Look at the water droplet above the mark and it will give you an idea of how small the mark was...but they still changed it! So your lights should be no problem!!!
Scuffed Alloy

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
The lights will move if pressed because, usually, they have a weather proofing gasket between them and the metal bodywork. I had a car that the rearlights used to creak when being pressed if it was very cold...

Reactions: steviedr
No problem mate ;), this is the thread with the R8 :) (pics down the thread) http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/result-plus-some.244818/#post-2461813

And the reason I had it: I noticed this on collection day and asked for a new alloy...they dragged their heels but I got a new one after contacting Audi UK :)

Look at the water droplet above the mark and it will give you an idea of how small the mark was...but they still changed it! So your lights should be no problem!!!
View attachment 91170

Glad they replaced it, once seen always noticed, every time you cleaned the car the rage levels would have fired up!

Reactions: pburv and S32B
Glad to report local Audi dealer sorted my lights, I paid for one hours labour - but I was happy too as the £900 for led lights was taken by them (or Germany, never heard the final outcome).
What I didn't realise is Audi Uk can really only act as a negotiator and the local garage could have told me where to go (although I guess they want to keep my custom/services etc).
While UK did phone to keep me updated, they couldn't action anything (unless they do in the background).
No one had seen this issue but agreed it wasn't my fault either.
Anyway, sorted now so I'm a happy driver.

Reactions: Dunedin, Rob2k68 and pburv
That's good to hear ! - thanks for the update.

Reactions: steviedr and pburv