Intermittent turbo?

Felon

Slightly odd.
Reaction score
Ok - like a good boy I have read the FAQs and done a search but none seem to describe what I experienced this morning.

Drove off from cold and it was clear I was driving a normally aspirated 1.8. No drama, no fuss, no turbo.

Got to where I was going about 5 miles away and left the car for 5 minutes - got back in and hey presto; plenty of turbo.

From reading the aforementioned FAQs and search results this could be due to a number of things but nowhere did I read that it comes and goes like it did with me.

Anyone got any ideas or is it a trip to my local Mr Audi to plug in his vag...?

Ta!

it sounds like the car is going into limp mode - it basically stops using the turbo and makes the engine produce "limited" power to reduce any potential damage to the engine, unfortunately without a vag.com scan it's hard to say why - are there any members near you that could scan it for free? - i'm based in surrey but that might be a bit too far for you to travel

Mike

Appreciate the offer - thanks!

My S3 is under warranty so presumably even Audi would not charge me for having a quick look with Vag.com??

yes - i think you should be ok if it's under warranty

if they play by the letter, then only parts and labour are covered by the warranty. Diagnostics, or time taken to diagnose a problem are not covered.

I've never been charged for any of the above on any warranty claims though.