1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Tail Light

themikeyboosh Jan 13, 2012

1. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

My tail light keeps going off, other bulbs ok. I can get the bulb back on if I take it out and put it back in but sometime by the time I've screwed the cluster back in it's off again when I test it! I've tried a new bulb but no luck.

Any ideas? What's the part called which all the bulbs plug in to called? I've got a multimeter but obviously I can put one terminal on where the bulb touches, but where do I put the other one?

Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

2. The Engineer

The Engineer Member

Mine used to do this, i did a little investigation and found water to be getting in as my tail light was a little loose.

once slotted in properly everything is fine.

3. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

hmmm it has a little water inside I must admit. On the rubber rings around the 2 pegs has split, do you think that's how the water gets in? It's definitely seated correctly though.

4. The Engineer

The Engineer Member

It may need drying out. Maybe worth removing it and put it in somewhere warm overnight.

5. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

I'll give it a go, cheers

6. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

If I wiggle the bulb it goes on and off, same with a new bulb.

Would my best bet be replacing the whole bulb holder? I'v tried cleaning the contact with sand paper already.

7. MarkTweedley

MarkTweedley Member

I get this so often it's unreal. Normally drivers side break light bulb but occasionally the normal bulb. Annoying... Will check for moisture in the cluster etc.

Thanks