Intermittent centre brake light warning on DIS!

Abb

Reaction score
Hi guys, I keep getting a very annoying fault on my dash telling me my centre brake light is out. This is happening more reguarlarly, and thus becoming more annoying! As my car is a cab, the light is integrated into the boot lid, would I be able to replace the whole brake light, or would it be more like a wiring connection/break in cable as it passes through the body into the boot lid?

Thanks

Hi, had the same problem on my S4 cab, I fixed it by removing the boot lid lining and unplugging the cable to the light and cleaning the connectors. It's Been fine ever since.

I have the same issue in my saloon but its my right brake light, i think its something to do with water as it always seems to be raining / car wash that starts it?

I cant get to it though and theres no water in the light housing? really annoying.

Hurricane - mines a cab and the liners only held in by the black plug/stopper things (sorry dont know the technical term!). Have just ordered a new centre brake light from TPS, £35.05!

Hurricane
Same problem. "Cured" by Audi twice - for a week both times. Local garage has been trying on and off for a year. New light was fitted months ago. I have the lining off now as I was waiting for the fault to show so I could "wiggle" wires. Well after another week of being good it finally faulted. "Wiggling", including removing the gaiters, has done nothing - again!
As Abb says, it is held in by black clips. First, remove the two allen nuts holding the emergency triangle bracket and one screw in the hand hold for closing the lid - bend your head way down to see it! Gently prise off the cover with a flat screwdriver without marking the paint. Like all things - simple when you know how. Let me know if you find a permanent cure - pms4 was b....y lucky!!

Hello all.

Im having this problem on my 56 plate B7 S4 Cabrio. Im going to remove the boot lining this weekend and have a look.

Did anyone get a resolution to this?

Thanks for your time.

I love my S4 but its been riddled with electrical faults!

W

I had this on mine until I changed the light unit complete, been fine for a year now.

Last edited:
Its easy to get at the centre stop light LED strip. You need the right star tools ( eBay ). I found that water had got in around the seal on the centre brake light and wetted the whole space between the boot lid and the lining. It destroyed the electrics for the aerials and corroded the connection to the centre brake light too. I ran some silicon around the lens and squeezed it back in, then cleaned the excess off the outside with tissue. It sealed it up, but the corrosion is a pain on the connections but I just gave a good clean up and now all the brake light are working again. The little connection to the centre light is very fiddly and easy to 'make ***** of' but I will be 'cattled' to spend good money on a new light (£35) when the old one works fine.
I might wash the car some day too.

Guys had this problem my self I changed the wiring for the light as it was damaged this is caused by the boot opening and closing repeatedly . You can buy the plug for the light with a length of cable . I cut the brake light wiring from in the boot taped the new wires to that and pulled it through to the lighy then soldered the wires and heat shrieked them . Worked perfectly. Simple job if your any good with soldering iron