Intermittent ABS light after new starter motor & help with fault codes

S3-Steve

Reaction score
Hi,
Had this problem for some time but only getting round to sorting it now (along with all the other issues) as my mot is due.

The abs light first started to appear after I changed the starter motor. I only usually do basic servicing with the car but felt a bit adventurous when the starter motor failed so I did this myself and all went well. As soon as the started motor was changed however the light appeared and has been on ever since - usually after i've been driving for a minute or so.

I bought a cheap cable to use with VCDS-Lite which gives the following codes:

Address 01 Engine
16955 - Brake Switch (F) Implausible signal - Intermittent
16795 -Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected- Intermittent
16500 - Engine coolant temperature sensor (G62) - Intermittent

Address 03 ABS Brakes
00778- Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
27 - 10 Implausible signal - intermittent

Some of these are likely related to the esp light which again has been on for some time after a trip to the garage - I was under the impression it was something to do with the tracking as it's something I haven't got round to fixing yet. Also, my temp gauge never sits at 90 so I'm guessing the engine coolant temp sensor is the cause of this??

I've read through lots of posts already but just thought I'd ask for some advice - one thing I read was how things can be reset after removing the battery?? so something like this would be the easiest fix.
Also - I only have the vids lite so can't clear codes or adjust settings (i'd probably take to the garage for this)

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

16955 - Brake Switch (F) Implausible signal - Intermittent
Any issues with the brake lights?

16795 -Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected- Intermittent
Does the car have a SAI-delete without a resistor?

16500 - Engine coolant temperature sensor (G62) - Intermittent
Yes, this would cause the temp gauge to be off.

00778- Steering Angle Sensor (G85) 27 - 10 Implausible signal - intermittent
This will upset the ABS. Is there any chance the steering wheel has been taken off at some point, and put back at an angle?

Thanks for the reply!
Any issues with the brake lights?

I do remember sometimes the dash telling me lights were out when they weren't - not very often though. I've bought a new switch today anyway to try that.

Does the car have a SAI-delete without a resistor?

Not that I know of, no. How would I check for this?

Yes, this would cause the temp gauge to be off.

Great. Bought a new one so I'll try that. Something that's always bothered me.

This will upset the ABS. Is there any chance the steering wheel has been taken off at some point, and put back at an angle?

I'm not sure - i've messaged my old mechanic to see if he has but I do remember him doing something with the steering rack... i think. I forgot to check the actuall steering angle in vcds so will have a look at that later.

I have the car in for MOT today and oddly enough I had no abs light on the way there, so i'm hoping it's something easily fixed. Still unsure about why the abs light only started after taking the battery out and fitting the starter motor...
Anyway thanks for your help man!