1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interior refresh

ajax1976 Aug 30, 2013

1. ajax1976

ajax1976 Well-Known Member

Since I wrapped my scratched interior aluminium trims earlier in the year I had started to get bored of it. Sounds silly but the fact it wasn't real carbon sort of bothered me and some of the tighter corners had started to wrinkle a bit during the heat wave this summer. I really wanted real carbon but wasn't prepared to pay funny money purely for aesthetics so decided go a different route.

I decided to do an old trick and sand it back to a brushed finish and then a few coats of 2k clear coat.

All in it's taken me a few evenings, one to sand back removing the cross hatching, one to spray the clear and tonight to wet sand and polish. Took me a few trials to decide on what grade of sand paper to use, fine paper obviously doesn't create the brush affect very well and if you go with a very rough grade you have to be very carefull to sand in continuous straight lines which is harder than it sounds!! I opted for middle ground and went for P120 and quite pleased with it, looking forward to fitting it tomorrow.

Tonights pics, I know everyone says it but they look even better in the flesh, quite hard to capture the shine whilst showing the brush effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrath, sidibear and NHN like this.
  2. Whopper

Whopper Active Member

Get it fitted already ;)

3. Mr-C

Mr-C Active Member

Cracking looking job

4. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi A4 S-line owners group

Great job pal

5. Jord_C

Jord_C Active Member

They look ace! What grit wet and dry did you use?

6. ajax1976

Thanks guys!!

Fitted the trims and to say I'm happy is an understatement. I think they look far better than the stock trim and miles better than the wrap. I would highly recommend giving this a bash if your trim's looking tired. I'll try and get better pics tomorrow of it all fitted. tried today but struggled to get a decent picture.

Jord_C, I used 80 grit to remove the hatching then refined with 120. The 80 grit was too hard to get looking good with straight even strokes. 2500 to wet sand the clear, just to get it flat then a quick buff.

Todays efforts,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

All I want to know is when are you doing mine? :)

8. ajax1976

And fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whopper likes this.
  9. Whopper

Whopper Active Member

Wow!! Looking good bud!

10. GeoffDunk

GeoffDunk Well-Known Member Team Panther Audi RS4 quattro Audi Avant Owner Group

You have got to be pleased with that, looks spot on. If I didn't have the carbon fibre and had the aluminium I'd be thinking of doing the same.

11. Golfedd

Golfedd Active Member

that's cool!!!! looks so much better than the crossing effect and makes the interior much 'cleaner' LIKE IT!
    nice

12. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition s tronic

13. Coath

Coath New Member

Great work,I fancy doing the same to mine,I am sure there is a thread on here with instructions on how to remove the trims, would someone kindly point me in he right direction :laugh:

14. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi A4 S-line owners group

Coath likes this.