Interior Door Handle LED Lighting Kit

I've just collected parts to do this mod and one of my door handles came with the full door loom with the trigger led connection. It appears to be pin 14 for +ve and pin 4 for -ve on the big grey connector. This ties up with Elsawin. This is for a 3 door.

What VAG COM adjustments need to be made to enable this?

For the people who tried to cut their own slots, and then bought a second handle with the slot already in place, what was the difference that made the light diffuser fit better?
It appears that the un-slotted handle has the clips for the LED/lightguide assy, but I suspect also required a flat zone for the light guide to align correctly, as well as the slot to let the light through.#
Is this true?
Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426528845863751
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426528877728481

I'm sure I did a post with all the part numbers for this mod that I've done to my 2011 S3

I'm sure I did a post with all the part numbers for this mod that I've done to my 2011 S3
I suspect that since you have a picture of it installed, the picture of the raw component in your hand is "before", and you can no longer look at the reverse side of the slot to see if the plastic has been rebated to povide a flat landing plate for the light guide?

I can remember the part as I bought/installed it myself. This is going to be hard to explain but plastic which goes from the LED forms a channel which curves up and has a flat top which leads to the face of the interior handle (which can be seen when fitted) does that answer your question?

... but plastic which goes from the LED forms a channel which curves up and has a flat top which leads to the face of the interior handle (which can be seen when fitted) ...
JayA3sline, thanks for the response; I'm interested not just in the clear plastic part, which would be bought to guide the light up from the LED to the slot, but the shape of the slot in the existing handle backplate. Obviously (I assume) the hole though the black plastic plate is rectangular, but since people are reporting that the fit is awkward, I expect the reverse of the plate has a flat landing zone so the light guide effectively slots in place at the top as well as clipping in place beside the LED.
Is this right? Does the light guide actually fit through the slot, to latch the top of the plate?
Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426536499731441
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426536514935308
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426536522921784

Found some photos online that will probably clear up your query. To be honest it will probably be a lot easier and hassle free to buy the parts if your prepared to spend £60 for the pair. You can see from the pictures that the plastic lens that curves up towards the slit fits inside the plastic tabs on the backplate to maintain the position. And the handle itself has a clear plastic window fixed for the tunnel to reflect the light through

View attachment 53908View attachment 53909View attachment 53910

Found some photos online that will probably clear up your query. To be honest it will probably be a lot easier and hassle free to buy the parts if your prepared to spend £60 for the pair. You can see from the pictures that the plastic lens that curves up towards the slit fits inside the plastic tabs on the backplate to maintain the position. And the handle itself has a clear plastic window fixed for the tunnel to reflect the light through

Thanks, yes, RobinA3's thread was where I started the investgiation.
I suppose I've done a number of mods on this car (and others) where the trim pieces can multiply the cost of the functional mod.
Since the edges of this light guide are not visible, and yet the backplate multiplies the cost by 3. I'm interested in the DIY cut-job, but want to try to make the fit a good one, so recognising the difficulty (like cutting a rebate) is part of the planning.

Don't think so. The new 8v comes as standard I believe but anything prior must of been a mod

OK - Reviving an older thread (appols):whistle2:
I would very much like to undertake the LED handle change for my 2016MY A 3.Yes I know I should have specced it but really believed it was a part of the comfort pack and sunroof that I did specc:blush:
I have spent ages trying to locate the part number for the interior handle activator with the pre-cut slot.
I have heard from a parts person that the handles all have the same part number and that there are seperate diode light and holder part numbers but they cant say if the handle soul (part number 8V3 837 020 C 4PK) will have the required slot:blink:
I am planning to undertake the puddle/warning light fitting with the help of a well known poster here:salute: but he also draws a blank on this blessed part number:shrug: Is there anyone out there who can assist in this search please:blush:
Thank you.
Mods - can this go in the 8 V threads too? sorry but dont want to break rules.

I did this mod on my 8P, but 8V I cannot help I'm afraid.

just made my own lights with 4 3mm ultra bright led's and a strip of box square acrylic . cut to desired length the dremmel fine lines across it to diffuse the light . cut a slot into top of door handle mount acrylic piece behind with the 3mm led fitted into one end of the acrylic brighter than the originals as well , you can actually see the handles illuminated

I did this recently using a pair of door handles with optics I found on eBay. Fitted fine but the LEDs are very dull. I think they were off quite an old car so not sure if the LEDs have just lost their brightness ... Maybe buying new optics might rectify?

I've just come back from a trip where the rental car I had was a Q3 S-Line, with interior lighting package.
So the handles were lit, and the grab handles (to shut the door) and the door pockets, and the sundry tray under the MMI, and the drinks holder.
In fact, since the armrest was not lit, it was quite a shock!
Everything went dark(er) when the doors were shut (& driving), but it was really friendly in a strange car when picking up at night. What a pity some t*ss*r had turned them to off, so I only found out about them a couple of days later! If I wasn't already an Audi driver, the pick-up could have been a lot more awkward!
Anyway, now I have thought of such lighting, I shall see about fitting some stick-on SMD LED strip and power them from the LED in the door handle. First thought is that it will be always useful, but in fact.it's probably better for a rental car (where almost nothing is kept in the pockets, and you may be tidying up in the dark) than for your own car.
Just lucky for the rental company that I didn't have enough screwdrivers, etc, with me! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry, may not have been clear; I started on this thread with an A4B7 (without the lighting pack), but have since added an A4B8 (which has the lighting pack). Hence the schizophrenic knowing nothing, then jumping to adding more. I may even be able to answer my own question, when I get there!

Hi I know it's old post but can you get the loom for upgrading the interior still?

Right chaps

sorry for the lack of updating, been busy at work :-(

Anyway i have fitted the LED door handle on the car now and i have to admit that buying the door handle from Audi with the led light fitted is 10000 times easier than making the slot in the old handle and fitting the led light.

Basically as i mentioned in my previous post there are 2 options.

1. Buy the led and use your old handle.
2. Buy a new pair of door handles.

The 1st option is the cheapest but its a right **** of a job making the slot for the LED light. It can be done with some patience though.

As the led light needs a feed and an earth. The earth needs to be joined to the earth wire on the puddle light and warning light loom. This will require a bit of soldering and cutting etc.

Loom options are as follows:

1.1 - £20 inc recorded postage - I will supply the loom for the LED light which will mean you will need to solder the earth wire to the earth wire on the puddle/warning light loom. I will supply the electrical connectors, you will need to get the LED light conductor and LED bulb (items 22 and 23) from Audi, both these parts come to £10 per door from Audi. However if you are going to buy new door handles then you will only need the loom and not items 22 and 23.

handle.jpg

2 - £40 inc recorded postage - I will supply the loom, all connectors and items 22 and 23.

3 - £20 Remove your current puddle/warning light loom, send it to me and i will rework it to have the LED lighting loom added into it, all you need to do is buy items 22 and 23 if you don't go for new door handles.

4 - If you haven't already got the puddle/warning light looms then i will add the extra wiring for the LED lighting loom if required, please pm me for details.

For all the people who have got the puddle/warning lights loom already from me i must apologise for not adding in the LED light when i first did the looms, at the time i wasn't convinced that the led light was worth the extra hassle and extra costs, therefore i have priced the above options up to be as cheap as possible, there is no profit in the above for me as i have to buy the wire, connectors, loom tape, electrical connectors etc from Audi dealership in order to make them. It would be wrong of me to make profit from people who have already bought the looms.

If you need any more information please drop me a pm or reply to the post.

Robin A3 how are you?
I have an a3 8p. I am interested in fitting the mod. Do you have any number for the entire door handle together with the led?
Cheers!!

Ah for Sportback:

8p4 837 019 a4 pk door handle - 5dr
8p4 837 020 a4 pe door handle - 5dr

Front and rear handles are the same.

Reactions: Nikolaos