Interior door brushed aluminium insert replacements

elwappo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a 2010 S-Line 2.0 TDI and I'm wondering how easy (if it all) it is to replace the brushed aluminium door inserts that run along by the door handles (couple of scratches from luggage from previous owner). And also the aluminium edge fitting that runs around the gear console (again, a few dents from previous owner). I know it's only superficial stuff, but those are the only two things that are not in mint condition.

Any recommendations on parts? What to do? If it can be done?
Cheers.

They can be done, but it wont be cheap, some people have wrapped there's or painted them for less money.

They can be done, but it wont be cheap, some people have wrapped there's or painted them for less money.

Are we talking hundreds for replacements? The console edging really only needs replacing, as it's the aluminium part on the perimeter that's dented, not the plastic console. The console itself is fine. What sort of paint would you use to paint brushed aluminium door inserts NHN?

Are we talking hundreds for replacements? The console edging really only needs replacing, as it's the aluminium part on the perimeter that's dented, not the plastic console. The console itself is fine. What sort of paint would you use to paint brushed aluminium door inserts NHN?

I have the trim costs and a 'how to' guide at home
I'll post them when I get chance.
All trims are easy to change except centre console
Which requires the console to be removed!

I have the trim costs and a 'how to' guide at home
I'll post them when I get chance.
All trims are easy to change except centre console
Which requires the console to be removed!

Thanks Keef, that would be fantastic.

I've just swapped all my brushed S-line trim out for oCarbon pieces.

2013 05 27100233

2013 05 27100244

2013 05 27100349

2013 05 27100336

2013 05 27100307

The door pieces were on an exchange basis, but I have a spare centre console trim free from dents that I could be persuaded to part with.
The door and dash pieces are a breeze to swap out, the centre console suround sounds more difficult and involved than it actually is.
Link to the "how to" here:
oCarbon – blog � B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide

Unfortunately it is the hundreds option, but the quality is first rate.

Ian

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,269
Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I'm not a carbon lover tbh, but I have to say, that looks very professionally done.

I've just swapped all my brushed S-line trim out for oCarbon pieces.

View attachment 16252

View attachment 16253

View attachment 16254

View attachment 16255

View attachment 16256

The door pieces were on an exchange basis, but I have a spare centre console trim free from dents that I could be persuaded to part with.
The door and dash pieces are a breeze to swap out, the centre console suround sounds more difficult and involved than it actually is.
Link to the "how to" here:
oCarbon – blog � B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide

Unfortunately it is the hundreds option, but the quality is first rate.

Ian

Thanks Ian, the door trims look a doddle after looking at that guide - thanks for the links guys. Regarding your centre console, I've only got dents on the carbon fibre part that you fitted, so just wondering if I'd need to remove the console just to replace that? Does it pop out off like the door trims?

By the way, yours looks the dogs danglies now. Very nice. I've got a multi-tronic without the audio equipment buttons on the centre console, so I couldn't take your spare one off your hands unfortunately.

Also wondering guys, are the back door trims the same size / shape as the front?

Sorry elwappo

Didn’t get chance to post the info – the how to guides I have are the oCarbon ones anyway.
When I got my car in 2011 I wasn’t overly keen on the piano black trim and looked into changing it.
Good quality, second hand B8 trims where as rare as rockin horse Sh#t on ebay – but worth checking regularly.

These are the prices dealer quoted me in 2011 for standard silver trims

£35.97 each front door
£40.29 each rear door
£30.96 dash
+ Vat, Supply only

Centre console - Supplied and fitted £165 including vat. (wasn’t brave enough to tackle the centre console removal myself)

I didn’t bother in the end, cost too much and grew to like the black trim.

Sorry elwappo

Didn’t get chance to post the info – the how to guides I have are the oCarbon ones anyway.
When I got my car in 2011 I wasn’t overly keen on the piano black trim and looked into changing it.
Good quality, second hand B8 trims where as rare as rockin horse Sh#t on ebay – but worth checking regularly.

These are the prices dealer quoted me in 2011 for standard silver trims

£35.97 each front door
£40.29 each rear door
£30.96 dash
+ Vat, Supply only

Centre console - Supplied and fitted £165 including vat. (wasn’t brave enough to tackle the centre console removal myself)

I didn’t bother in the end, cost too much and grew to like the black trim.

Thanks Keef. I've been doing some digging on ebay as suggested, and you're totally right - I think I'll get the front door trims off the dealership with those prices and have the guarantee of them being new. They look very straightforward to fit looking at the oCarbon instructions - just a screw driver needed. Can't believe the rear ones are more expensive, they look identical and was tempted to try and swap rear and fronts?

The centre console, I'll get the dealer to sort as I'm not brave enough either. Shame the previous careful lady owner couldn't keep her heavy keys or something similar denting the aluminium edging. The rest of the car is in mint condition tho.

I would suggest you use a trim removal tool instead of a screw driver.
I found plastics cutlery knives (not the disposable ones!)
are good.
I can't believe the centre trim is fixed under the console - I even thought about
Breaking the fixing tabs and using adhesive pads to fit the new one.
But I'm not suggesting you do that.
I have since removed the glovebox so would
be braver this time round!
Good luck

Thanks Ian, the door trims look a doddle after looking at that guide - thanks for the links guys. Regarding your centre console, I've only got dents on the carbon fibre part that you fitted, so just wondering if I'd need to remove the console just to replace that? Does it pop out off like the door trims?

By the way, yours looks the dogs danglies now. Very nice. I've got a multi-tronic without the audio equipment buttons on the centre console, so I couldn't take your spare one off your hands unfortunately.

The centre console trim (brushed ali bit) is independent of the shifter and audio trim - ie it would fit any B8 variant.
I'll post it up on ebay when I get the chance anyway... but if your interested drop me a message.
There are 8 or so self tapers keeping the trim in place from beneath, so no way of prising it off!

I was surprised when I fit the carbon door trims that the front and rear are not interchangeable - strangely the rear door trim is about 3mm longer!! Why they would tool up for different parts with such a small change is beyond me!!

I'm not a carbon lover tbh, but I have to say, that looks very professionally done.

Hes been at it a while now, and can do it in silver carbon red, blue any colour you like.Its carbon cloth covered in resin.Its cheaper to send him your bits to re-cover.Was about a six week turnaround what with the postage and that.

Does he do carbon socks aswell lmao

Definitely second using a plastic trim tool, or wrapping the screwdriver end with some tape to avoid marking the door panel when you pop the door inserts off :)

The centre console trim (brushed ali bit) is independent of the shifter and audio trim - ie it would fit any B8 variant.
I'll post it up on ebay when I get the chance anyway... but if your interested drop me a message.
There are 8 or so self tapers keeping the trim in place from beneath, so no way of prising it off!

I was surprised when I fit the carbon door trims that the front and rear are not interchangeable - strangely the rear door trim is about 3mm longer!! Why they would tool up for different parts with such a small change is beyond me!!

I presume I'd still have to take the console out to fit it? Can you PM me a pic to take a look at it - are there any dents/scuffs? I'm away from tomorrow for a week but if you can send me a pic before then, I can probably get back to you this evening.

Well, just picked up my interior door trim for Audi dealership. Really quick turnaround, popped in Tuesday and ordered it, and he said it'll be in today. They do make a hell of a difference compared to the scratched ones. Far easier than trawling eBay as suggested, and not too bad at £37.50 each.

Spoke to the guy and he said I can replace the piece of brushed aluminium around the centre console and they can order that too. For the price (think he said £90!!) I may as well get a brand new, shiny, shiny console (fitted too at £165) as there's the odd small scuff on the plastic. But I'm gonna wait for till next month for that!

Nice mate!:icon_thumright: Have you replaced your steering wheel as well?

Thanks.
Yeah,I've fitted the flat bottom wheel too...well spotted (and S5 pedal set).
I fitted the wheel into my previous B6 and couldn't part with it when the B6 went, so it came with me :)

Thanks.
Yeah,I've fitted the flat bottom wheel too...well spotted (and S5 pedal set).
I fitted the wheel into my previous B6 and couldn't part with it when the B6 went, so it came with me :)
Was it hard to fit? I fitted a an M3 wheel in my last 3 series which was kinda fiddly but not bad. I like the round air bag steering wheels in the face lift models and quite like the flat bottom wheel but I have alot of extras (voice etc) controlled through the steering wheel so Im a wee bit reluctant.

Was it hard to fit? I fitted a an M3 wheel in my last 3 series which was kinda fiddly but not bad. I like the round air bag steering wheels in the face lift models and quite like the flat bottom wheel but I have alot of extras (voice etc) controlled through the steering wheel so Im a wee bit reluctant.

It would have been really straightforward, had I not converted the wheel harness for the original install in my B6.
To fit it in the B8 I had to re-pin the harness again to how it was originally (allowing the use of the dual stage air bag again, that the B6 could not support).

My B8 is fully loaded too and all the wheel buttons work as they should, as they did in my B6 - I'd done the whole RNSE, cruise, DIS and wheel install in the B6, so it needed coding into the B6 too.

Having not had a go with a BMW wheel I don't know how they are wired, but for the audio controls on the audi wheels there only appears to be 3 wires from memory, so very straight forward (and then obviously airbag plugs and horn connectors that are straightforward).
If you undo the torx bolts at the back of your wheel and ease the horn pad off (ignition off!) you'll see the wiring is minimal and just plug and play..

Reactions: ScottishA4B9