1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intercooler seals. Are they important to change?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dawudbhai, Feb 20, 2013.

1. dawudbhai

dawudbhai Member

Hi as suggested on my audi health check, I was told to replace the intercooler seals as they are leaking. 4 seals on both ends.. Now I've read that as long as I'm not losing oil, as it's not coming up on dash, that a little oil is normal as it comes from the cam breather pipe. So should I get these change or am I ok to leave it as it don't seem to cause any problems.

2. bertiebasset

bertiebasset New Member

I'd say change them if there leaking as they dont cost much. Mine went on my A3 about a month ago, 200 miles from home and needed to get towed back via the AA.

3. dawudbhai

dawudbhai Member

Ok but they're meant to weep a little right. If they were leaking I'd notice an oil deficit right? Anyway what happened to yours mate that you needed towing? Did the pipes come apart?

4. bertiebasset

bertiebasset New Member

I'm not too sure about the leaking but mine must have worn enough to create some play then they popped apart. The seal must have been lost in the road so I had to get towed back.

5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Yes they will leak a bit, they always do mate, so you'll not get rid of the issue unless you fit a catch can.

6. deanshaw24

deanshaw24 Member

Yeah they always leak, the seals are £5 each, the oil residue will just sit on your undertray and will eventually make a mess, so I would change them personally.