intercooler problem

andy smith

Reaction score
originally my turbo had gone, causing internal damage to my engine. i have now fitted a new engine and turbo but umsure of what to do with my intercooler, as in do i clean it out , or get a new one? can i get away with just cleaning it out

originally my turbo had gone, causing internal damage to my engine. i have now fitted a new engine and turbo but umsure of what to do with my intercooler, as in do i clean it out , or get a new one? can i get away with just cleaning it out

We always fit a new one at work. (Landrover) So I should assume its good practice to fit a new one. Good chance to upgrade anyway.

ist good practice to replace but i have just pressure washed them out before and leave to dry on its side for a few days

cleaned them out with degreaser and pressure washer etc as above, but it's my own car and i understand the potential issues.

When you say your turbo had gone what did it do ?

I cannt see any issues with flushing it , I know dealers do it as its the technically right thing to do along with all the Ic pipes make sure it's gone nothing in but you shouldn't get metal pass through the I'v the fins are that small just wash it out from the engine side and expell the water out the side that leads to the turbo if that makes sense

Mu turbo blew up 7 mo ths ago and my intercooler still has oil in it so im fitting s3 after winter ive already bought it its in the garage

Mu turbo blew up 7 mo ths ago and my intercooler still has oil in it so im fitting s3 after winter ive already bought it its in the garage

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for a s3 intercooler? Got someone asking about mine and I haven't a clue what to sell it for.

My mate payed £100 for one 3 weeks ago alloy end one as well

Lad who wants mine must be desperate. Offered my 180 if it's in good condition! Haha

They are £360 new so unless it had damage (a fair few of them do as they come from crashed cars) that was too cheap!

Mines got bottom panel bit bent but minor guy had it on his 2.0t a3 and has upgraded to a bigger cooler than the s3 one