1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intercooler outlet size

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AVLO, Jan 21, 2013.

1. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Hi guys i no there is a lot of information in the intercooler sticky which i have read from start to finish, but i have chance of an intercooler measuring roughly 760x240x76 but it only has 57mm inlets and outlets!

Main question is would this be adequate for a ko4 hybrid (which is my plan in the near future) or not?

Thanks
    Matt
  2. cecilthesausage

cecilthesausage ...It's Never Finished...

Do you know what the cooler is rated to.....? I would say 63 or bigger would be better... But I'm no expert.... I'm sure someone else will come along to verify...
  3. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

I have been told 600hp but you no how some of these people just make figures up! I was thinking 63mm but its at a good price and outlet are under headlights :-D
  4. s3clarke

s3clarke Money grabbing s3!

It's wether u'd get the pipes to fit with the extra length of the Intercooler, and if theres room behind the bumper as the common upgrade is 600mm long iirc..
  5. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

@ s3 clarke, Yes i have already said it would depend on fitment i just didnt want to buy it if the 57mm outlets was no good for a hybrid etc. :-(
  6. cecilthesausage

cecilthesausage ...It's Never Finished...

I have just bought the Ahfabs V2 because it was not an option to loose my fogs.... I know people have used Wellycooler and done it also.... I think Bill is doing one now with the Wellycooler.... Mounting it upside down.... The S3 Gringo.... Don't know prices though...
  7. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Well this is very similar where as the inlet and outlet run under the headlights above the crash bar.
  8. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Anything smaller than the standard cars boost pipes is a dumb idea. You should be looking for 60mm+. I personally run 63mm piping, as many do, some use 76mm.
  9. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Yes well i suppose that puts it into prespective a little bit more superkarl.
  10. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Is that so you can keep the fogs or will they still fit with 76mm?
  11. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Wellycooler is 600x300x76 for reference... I would say 700 wide is going to be a bit too wide, 57mm is a bit too small... the Forge and AH V1 use 51mm inlets but that was back when there wasn't much choice about...

AH V2 is 63mm inlets, larger surface area and more rows than the V1 and not much more to buy so if looking for something like that then the V2 is a no brainer but Bill has been using the toyo/welly cooler in a fair few applications now and can mod them to fit pretty much anything... recent applications being a TT, Leon Cupra and S3... the 'Gringo' is £250 IIRC but worth dropping him an email or phone call to confirm..

<tuffty/>
  12. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Cheers for the advice tuffty i was always going to stand by my word and get the ah fabs v2 but my mate who is breaking his 440hp golf asked if i would like his ic so i just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Looks like it will be the v2 :-D
  13. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

youl never keep fogs with 76. With 60-63mm you deffo can.

OP, id put money on the 760mm measurement of the cooler being overall width, not core width, its prob a 600mm core. Its not a bad size, 60mm shorter than a wellycooler. Inlets and outlets can always be modified too.