Intercooler kit built up from Ebay bits

smogthemog

Reaction score
Just took a piccy of the complete Ebay sourced kit I have gathered together.

Pic02751.jpg

3" Pipe kit = £99.24 + £27.19 import duty, £126.43 :( (from USA) ( autogrimmig )
Intercooler = £114.58 ( mx5-tuning )
Reducing couplers 3">2.5" = £23.50 ( tuningpartsbay )
Stainless steel for the brackets = free from work ;)

To go on my AAN URS6 (4A)

Looks good,make sure you get some good pictures when your fitting it.

Got it all nearly fitted, just got to pipe up the manifold side, need some 60mm pipe from work, and all will be done. I am hoping I don't have to cut too much of the front bumper for it to fit over it - It got too dark for me to carry on today so I gave it up - Bad light stopped play :)

I will give it a pressure test after it is all fitted to 22Psi and hope the joints are all OK. The only thing that is worrying me is the 3" ally pipes have no beading on them to stop the pipes from sliding off although they are done up tight and don't move at all when wrenched about :photo:

If they do blow off after a while, where can I get heavy duty clips from ??

That is nice.I have smooth edges on my pipes and all is fine.Forge or dpm might sell the stronger clips if you need them.Send them a pm.

This might seem daft but is there any benefit to having larger pipes to and from the intercooler?:think:

smogthemog said:
Got it all nearly fitted, just got to pipe up the manifold side, need some 60mm pipe from work, and all will be done. I am hoping I don't have to cut too much of the front bumper for it to fit over it - It got too dark for me to carry on today so I gave it up - Bad light stopped play :)

I will give it a pressure test after it is all fitted to 22Psi and hope the joints are all OK. The only thing that is worrying me is the 3" ally pipes have no beading on them to stop the pipes from sliding off although they are done up tight and don't move at all when wrenched about :photo:

If they do blow off after a while, where can I get heavy duty clips from ??

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/smogthemog/S6/112.jpg

Looking good...before you stick back together could you measure the bracket you made up for attaching the IC save me the hassle :thumbsup:

Cheers

Would i get any gains in fitting larger pipes to and from my FMIC?

no you would get pressure drop and turbo lag.
What engine is it? I am pretty sure none of teh 1.8t's have 3" cold side I/C pipes. I had a development projetc Forge FMIC fitted to my 1.8t (180bhp Sport) and none of the pipes that come off or the silicon ones that went on are three inch.
shouldn't make a huge difference to a bigger turbo but you may experience some lag on a ko3 or ko3s if your I/C have just increased in length and diameter.
would be interested to see the finished product though

Mines on a diesel.Ive got 2.25" going into the intercooler and 2.25" coming out,but my inlet is 2.5".So was thinking about using 2.5" from the intercooler to inlet.What do you think???

Wont make much difference, the system is governed by the smallest aperture, which would be the IC.

The IC is temporarily off the car pending some new pipes. The 3"ers where not playing ball :eek:

They where crap to coin a phrase :)

Back to the drawing board and an order for some stainless mandrel bent 2.5" pipe segments :)

It isn't going to beat me !!

A4Quattro said:
Wont make much difference, the system is governed by the smallest aperture, which would be the IC.

whilst important, you will find that a hot side 3 inch pipe going into a 2.25/2.5" I/C inlet and the from the 2.25/2.5" I/C outlet into another 3 inch pipe on the cold side will completely screw you air flow and pressure.
the intercooler itself creates a big enough pressure drop without having to deal with the air expanding into a significantly bigger pipe.

that set up has increased lag and I/C inefficency written all over it.

Had a day on my knee's today finishing off the FMIC fit.
I also managed to find a decent place for the Power Steering cooler piping to sit - it worked out a treat :arco:
I used tech screws to fit it in position using the rubber mount washers, that come with them, as shock mounts for the brackets.

I had to abandon ship just as it got dark as it started to rain :faint:

Just got the bumper to re-fit and it's all finished. Off to MRC then for the re-map :rockwoot:

Some pic's below of the days proceedings.

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

i5.jpg

i6.jpg

i7.jpg

i8.jpg

i9.jpg

i10.jpg

i11.jpg

All the Stainless bits where TIG'ged up, in house. It took me from 09:30hrs this morn, finished at 17:00hrs.

great job have just got mine and just need to fit it....dont fancy knocking up the same piping do you?..looks like it works a treat

managed to pick up FMIC with 3" outlets .were did you get the piping from and the hosing in the end remember you saying last stuff you got was not to good

I got the 1.5mm, 2.5" SS piping from Kiowa through work. Any SS tube manufacturer should be able to help you out though. Do a Google and I am sure you will find summuts.
Don't buy the ally ones from the US off of Ebay as they are not thick enough. They bend like hell when you tighten the pipe clamps.
Invest in some HDuty clamps too - they make ALL the difference and give you piece of mind.

The silicone hosing (either end of the IC) was from Ebay username [FONT=arial,sans-serif]:- 1_regals_motorsport

The Samco's from Ebay username :- amberper
[/FONT]