1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intercooler advice

QuestMS Oct 25, 2013

1. QuestMS

QuestMS Member

I have a FMIC already on my S3 but it has 2" inlet & outlet. Will having 2" inlet/outlet make much of a difference when I go to have it mapped at R-tech? The cooler is a universal-intercoolers.com kit they have for the S3. If it will make that much of a difference I will cut the ends off and weld 2.5" 90 degree bends onto the end tanks. Or possibly even buy a core and make a cooler from scratch. If there is not much to be gained I won't bother.

Cheers in advance

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Ideally needs to be 63mm but it depends on the wanted Power

3. QuestMS

QuestMS Member

I would like to get to 280 which I believe is the limit with standard s3 injectors. I might just bite the bullet and swap the inlet/outlet for 2.5" 90 bends, similar setup to the AH v2. So wish I knew about this site when I first got my car, it would have save me a chunk of money and saved having to do things twice lol.

4. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Ask yourself this... The stock boost system diamter is 60mm, why would you want to decrease that with 25-30% more power and more boost/air mass going through it???

StaceyS3, mark_S3 and Westy like this.
  5. QuestMS

QuestMS Member

I understand the principal behind it, I was just asking from people's experience has it made that much of an effect. I'm just weighing up my options

6. g60leigh

g60leigh Well-Known Member

Will changing the pipe work improve this enough? I.e will the core of the version 1 flow enough to benefit from larger pipe work?

Funnily enough I'm looking at the same thing at the minute for a r-tech stage 2 plus map.

7. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Well-Known Member

surely the inlet/outlet sizes will be almost irrelevant if the core is still only 2"? . .

8. g60leigh

g60leigh Well-Known Member

That's what in wondering. But is the core only two inch? Or does it open up more with the surface area.

9. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

I think tuffty saw it was restricting the flow on his first AH setup, the core maybe 2" but it opens into channels, the map sensor pipe is a restriction also, saying that it should not effect the OP if is goal is 280bhp