Integrated Dashcam

Agric04

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes a good discrete integrated hd dashcam rather than a bulky camera stuck on the windscreen with wires trailing over the dash?

Would be great if it could utilise the cars inbuilt hdd but that's probably too much to ask.

Shame Audi don't offer this as a factory option, would be an easy add on with the tech already on these cars.

Thanks for the reply NotNormal, would be great if you could update me on what it's like and your install once you've got it.

Heres an update :

Fitted the hard wire kit, routed the wire nice and tidy :

I chose the kit with the GPS sensor.

Heres the camera mounted with the mirror in the normal driving position :

View from the position i drive in :

I've positioned the camera as discreetly as possible - heres the view from the front, quite subtle, even close up :

I've just been out for a drive, my little boy needed to settle, any excuse .....
But it gave me a chance to try out the image quality, gps, speed and mapping.
To be completely honest, i'm impressed, the image is stable, even in poorly lit streets (night time) the images are clear.
For a sub £100 camera, its impressive.
I've not used the standard software as i'm an Apple Mac person, and the standard software is PC only, so I bought Dashcam Viewer, $20 (£13.49) and worth every penny.
Setting up the 0801 camera is simple, operation is simple too. I'm a typical bloke, and as such I've not needed to break out the instruction booklet - its really straight forward and self explanatory

Thanks for the up date that's a really neat install. Was it easy to pick up the power supply? Any chance of uploading some video?

Do you have to turn it on or does it start up when the ignition is on?

Thanks. Having OCD helps ;)

It's battery backed up, but hard wired, so it's active when the ignition is on.
I've also set it so record on motion, so if the camera detects movement it records.

I've used a piggyback fuse power pickup - tapped into a fuse in the fuse box on the o/s of the steering wheel.

If i'm honest I've never uploaded video, but if i get chance to i'll give it a go, i'll see what i can add to my YouTube account tomorrow.