Insuring a 2nd "Fun" weekend car

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way to insure my Audi A4 and a 10 year old W reg BMW E36 328I Sport Convertible ?.
Yes sorry ! I know talking about E36 BMW here BUT its an absolute one owner minter and its only £4K with 70K miles on it and I do miss my old E36 328 Sport Coupe I sold before family arrived....I only want to insure it for about 4000 miles a year, in Winter it will be on a SORN for 6 months...
I'm being told that I can only use my no claims for one car
frown.gif
thats crazy. Surely the no claims should follow the driver not the car.
If anyone has found a (cheap)way round this please tell.​

If the car was 15 years+ old, and that bit rarer, you could have gone with a limited mileage classic policy without the need for NCB.
There's no harm in calling your current insurers to see what they can do for you, like 30% off a new policy by introducing yourself to a new policy, or loyalty discount etc., some insurance companies can mirror the NCB for you if they are decent.

I have a 1992 Saab 900 T16S Convertible on a classic policy, agreed value £4500, 3000 miles per year & garaged.
You dont get any NCB being a classic but you also dont earn any. It only costs £200 a year with KGM through Premium Choice.

The other chap is right about it needs to be over 15 years old.
I recently thought about a 1995 BMW M3 convertible and rang them, much to my annoyance they would not recognise it as a classic car yet :no:
I have not made any follow up enquiries yet as it took the wind out of my sails.

I found a multicar policy with Admiral to be very good, until it came to coilovers, or suspension changes over 50mm. But if your current insurer can "mirror" your ncb, it would be well worth doing. I know some companies can.

Otherwise, its just starting from scratch.