1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for Road trip to prague.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by siu00adg, Dec 6, 2007.

1. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    Hi Guys,

Me and 3 mates are rocking down to Prague for new years in my S3, its a long drive and I don't want to do it all myself so I'd like to get my mates insured on the car for 4-5 days. The thing is, its an S3 and my mates are 23, 24 and 28. Does anyone have and recommendations as to which insurance company would be best/cheapest for a few days insurance? Maybe adding them to my policy for a week would be cheaper?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    you'll probably find the minimum you can add somebody for is a month, and i think its possibly 2 drivers maximum.

Your premium change shouldnt be too high for this period of time tho, for example i was insured on a mates Evo VII for a month when i was 22 and it cost him an extra 60 quid for the month
  4. marms

marms Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    I believe you can only add the drivers to your existing policy. Something to do with not being able to have two policies on the same vehicle. So if this is the case you only option will be to ring you existing insurer and ask them the questions. I have added my brothers to my policy on a couple of occasions. Cost me £15 for a week. Thats with CIS.
  5. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Dec 6, 2007]
    You'll need to add them to your existing policy. Give them a call & whatever the extra cost split it between your mates as its their "fault" you'll have to pay the extra premium!!
  6. Geordie Mike

Geordie Mike Yeee-haw

[Dec 6, 2007]
    How much it costs depends very much on your insurer - some of them want to add £15/person or so as an admin charge for doing this as well as the cost of the insurance, so it can start to add up
  7. Mart

Mart Active Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    I've added someone as a named driver to my policy on a few occasions, was £20 for the week. 23, but was female, so that will make a difference, and also not a S3
  8. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Dec 6, 2007]
    I've used Norwich Union Short Term Insurance a few times. Very reasonable on price and the last time I used it they didn't really give a monkies what the car is - simply ask whether it's worth more or less than £50,000.

I've had a quick look and it appears driving on the continent is covered. Might be worth double-checking for any unusual exclusions though..

http://www.norwichunion.com/short-term-insurance/index.htm

European Ts&Cs -http://www.norwichunion.com/library/pdfs/Policy-Document-EU.pdf

Regards,

Rob.
  9. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

[Dec 8, 2007]
    Awesome, cheers for the advice :)