Insurance for learners.. and bargain on diesel!

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

so only 1 year after sorting out my eldest, into a 1.3 Micra.. (£1850 insurance, through Tesco..) I'm busy repeating the process for number two son, who is 17 in a couple of weeks..

probelm was, I cant really afford to pay out that sort of cost for insurance again, on top of buying a car, so I had wanted to pay in installments.. Noone would let me, as he will be the main driver of the car so the insurance has to be in his name.. and therefore no credit as hes only 17!

DirectLine though were superb. this new arrangement they do, allows me to insure the car in my name, him as named driver, BUT he is declared as the MAIN driver, I get to pay in installments, and he even gets no claims recognition after a year as a named driver (as long as he stays with direct line for his next year policy..)

Best of all, since most driving schools now use diesels, they accept diesel as low risk despite engine size.. Ive got him a nice Peugeot 306xtdt, with a 1.9td lump.. and it was £1389 to insure! nearly £500 less than his brothers 1.3 micra! bargain.. and a much more tractable car all round..

no hes NOT modding it!! ;-)

I feel sorry for his brother who has a Micra!