Insument lights OUT FUSE BLOWS no Boost!!!! Arrrgh HELP!!!

c11rgd

Reaction score
OK
1998 a3 tdi 110
car was fine today came home and parked it up
got in it late at night to go out and the instument lights were not working! at all!! no mileage indicator, everything else working fine ie horn exterior interior lights
the car feels like its lost turbo power aswell no kick
checked the fuse NUMBER 15 and it was blown so i replaced it and as soon as i started teh car it blew again!? what is goin on! help

weird. could be a faulty relay for your headlights - instead of switching the high current just through your headlights, its putting it though the low current side too? thats justs a wild guess thogh.

other than that, it sounds like a nasty electrical gremlin.

thinking about this a bit more, it could even be a faulty headlight switch, does the instrument illumination go as well?

The fuse is obviously blowing because too much current is being drawn from your instrument circuit, and you've already pinpointed the problem to when you turn on your headlamps. You need too locate the point now where the circuits are bridged - it may even be as simple as water in the fusebox.

however, i'm no electrical expert - these are just the things that sound likely to me.

yeah tru like i said the instrument lights go off fuse number 15 but the headlights etc all work fine just hope its got nothing to do with ma aftermarket setero which i fitted a couple of dasy ago?

I would defo check the wiring on your stereo! original audi radios communicate with your car in some way and there may be a live wire for your illumination astray or connected to something it shouldnt, either this or you might need Vag-com to see if its caused any damage, when you say no boost you might have an ECU issue (safe mode?)

ok changed the 5 amp fuse to a 10 amp, there is boost now cars running and driving fine but when i do switch the lights on i can see the dash lights dim a to0uch like its drwn power, buit hte 10 amp is holding fine gonna get it checked out on monday, ne1 got it locally? ive got he software no cable! lol

There are two ways of looking at changing the 5amp for a 10amp.

10 amps is a hullava lot. Its either gonna draw too much current and knacker the dis etc etc

or

the aftermarket stereo requires more current from the illumination circuit than the OEM one.

how did u wire the stereo? Was it a cut the wires and tape it job, or did you use an autoleads iso convertor?

[ QUOTE ]
ok changed the 5 amp fuse to a 10 amp, there is boost now cars running and driving fine but when i do switch the lights on i can see the dash lights dim a to0uch like its drwn power, buit hte 10 amp is holding fine gonna get it checked out on monday, ne1 got it locally? ive got he software no cable! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

The dash (stereo, dis and amibient) lights will dim when you put your headlights on anyway, they turn down as they assume you are driving at night and therefore don't need the dash so bright.

Kev.

i know that, its not like that its like asurge happens for a millisec then back to normal. NEWAYS
Sussed it, it was the illumination wire fromthe wiring loom! must have been touching earth or sumink!

[ QUOTE ]
i know that, its not like that its like asurge happens for a millisec then back to normal. NEWAYS
Sussed it, it was the illumination wire fromthe wiring loom! must have been touching earth or sumink!

[/ QUOTE ]

I told u so!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif