instument problems, Help

fireblade

Reaction score
Just picked up my 98 S4 after its 60k service to be told there is an intermittent fault with the fuel gauge (no problem when it went in). Sure enough drove it away and the gauge is jumping up and down all over the place. It only seems to do this when accelerating. At tickover, reving at standstill and crusing it returns to its correct position.
To make matters worse i got 100 yards down the road and the speedo packed in, I would have gone straight back but was in a hurry. I phoned the dealer when i got in and their oppinion is that it could have been an electrical fault waiting to happen! however i've got to take it back in the morning and they will have a look at it.
First off where do i stand (it was an official Audi dealer), could they have upset something whilst servicing, has anyone had either of these problems before and in the worst case how much is a new instrument cluster?.
I will keep you updated and cheers for any help

Jim

Update
Took the car out last night and both the speedo and fuel gauge are now working correctly!!!
Anyone any ideas?

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
fireblade said:
Update
Took the car out last night and both the speedo and fuel gauge are now working correctly!!!
Anyone any ideas?

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

My previous A4 had a temp gauge that went off intermittently. Never did find out what was causing it, so I got the Stealer to replace it under warranty.

this fault could not possibly have happened at the dealer, ive been an audi technician for 8 years and only one person has ever tried to blame it on us! firstly we dont have to go near any wiring for the mentioned faults. these dashes do go wrong, it is just bad luck that it happended when in at your dealer! likely hoods are you did not come to my dealer so i have nothing to loose by tell ing you this so please believe that i am not lying

totaly accept these dashes can go wrong, just was a bit [censored] that its always been fine, went in fine and came back bust. To be fair they did say they would look at it if i took it back but it seems to be working ok for now.
Out of intrest foolish3uk any idea how much a new dash would be incase it happens again?

Jim

steves right approx £400 for the part plus fitting all depends on what dash you have fitted there are several types around! unfortunately it must be done at your dealer

Cheers, better start saving incase it decides to go good and proper

Jim