1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing sub - any help!?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by N4THW, Apr 29, 2011.

1. N4THW

N4THW Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    Installing a sub into my Audi A3. Is there any spare gromets in the bulkhead or do I have to drill for the power-cable to connect to the battery? Was it easy for you guys??

Cheers!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. G60DAN

G60DAN Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    There is a spare grommet next to the pollen filter. You can run the cable up through the black plastic trunking that runs from the battery right up to the pollen filter.
  4. N4THW

N4THW Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    So i do not need to drill into the bulkhead at all no? Is there anyway to earth it in the back? Because otherwise I'll have to drill?
  5. Doby Tray

Doby Tray New Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    Hi, When i did mine i didnt have to drill anything. There is a rubber gromet on the right of the firewall if you are looking into the bay from the front of the car. if you can get a screwdriver through ( it is quite hard ), then your half way there. i managed to get a 12mm power cable through it.

it ends up in the passenger foot well, if you look there you will see the rubber gromet surrounding a wiring block iifc. Thats what i did, it may work for you

As for grounding, in the boot there is that flap on the left hand side wall - ( where the bose sub goes and the cd changer ). I grounded mine to a bolt in there that screwed into the rear quarter metal. I never got power surges or cuts, and just ran the cable out the flappy door bit, it still closed over it.

Hope this helps in some way
  6. N4THW

N4THW Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    perfect cheers 'Doby Tray' I did all the above perfectly, going to do the boot now to see if it's ok, will post!
  7. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Certified Jardo Slayer

[Apr 29, 2011]
    another good earthing point is the seatbelt buckle bolt under the rear seat, you can have a decent earth there all hidden too.
  8. N4THW

N4THW Member

[Apr 29, 2011]
    Thanks guys going to finish off the boot in the am and take what u both said, any other?