1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing cruise control on a '98 A6 - VAG-COM steps needed?

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by SiliconS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. SiliconS

SiliconS Member

I've offered to help my aged uncle get cruise control installed in his '98 A6 1.9 TDi. He's tested his car to see whether it's got an electronic throttle (it has) so I was hoping that installing cruise control would be as simple as fitting the appropriate column stalk.

I had to replace the column stalk on my own A6 and discovered that they only cost £35 or so, and having seen a chap on eBay selling the retrofit service for £120 I figured that being familiar with the column stalk already I could have a go myself for my uncle.

However, I've just read something online that made me think that something in the car needs reprogramming with VAG-COM before the cruise will work.

Anybody done this who can give me any tips please? Will his car have the necessary connectors at the steering column for the cruise stalk? Do I need to buy a loom as well? (The vagparts website isn't very helpful.)

My uncle is old and kind and I'd like to do this for him if I can, so I hope I haven't promised something impossible. :(