Installation of new O.E.M. Breath hose assembly to 2.7t motor

Hobartian

Reaction score
I decided to replace the original breather hose assembly of my 2002 2.7t Allroad with the view of reducing oil leaks from my car.

I bought the O.E.M. updated assembly as its price was better than other after market components. When the part arrived I wondered if I had bought the correct part as I didn't recognize it as any part installed on my motor. This is because the part is installed mostly behind the motor and is covered by other components.

I searched for an installation guide without success so had to install the assembly on a trial and error basis. (Mostly error in my case.)

This is my guide compiled with the knowledge gained the hard way. Allow about three hours for the job although it could be done faster. The job is difficult because of the poor access to behind the motor and not having a clear line of sight to some of the components. However, with some patience and determination it can be done by the back yard mechanic.

These are the installation steps:

1. Remove all engine covers and Y air pipe on top of motor.

2. Remove Secondary Air Injection Motor and flexible manifolds attached to it. The motor is located behind the engine on the passengers side and is held in by two easily accessed bolts on the front top of the mounting bracket and one ten millimeter bolt hidden down the side of the mounting bracket. Undo electrical plug and remove motor. This step allows much better access and view of the breather hose assembly.

3. Remove old breather hose assembly which will be very brittle and will break into many pieces. I didn't try to preserve it and cut off the locking tabs as I encountered them. Make sure the male components of the hoses come out completely and if this does not occur carefully remove any pieces left behind. Clean the female parts where the hoses enter.

4. Install the new breather hose assembly in the order shown in the picture below. The main center connection is the most difficult to be made due to poor access and visibility and needs to be done first so the assembly is free and easy to manipulate. It will install with a loud positive click. Install remaining hoses in indicated order.

5. Reinstall secondary air pump and hoses.

6 Reinstall Y air manifold and the last hose from the breather hose assembly.

7. Reinstall engine covers and close engine bonnet.

8. Find very comfortable chair and have at least two cold beers while relaxing.

I hope this guide helps someone.
ORDER OF CONNECTION

Connections