Inner CV joint.. Fell apart!

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
was driving yesterday, went to pull out of a junction, and the car was finding it difficult to move, there was a lound clunk, and it started banging and dragging the front left wheel.making it jump etc.

got it trailored home, ive had a look under and the car, and the shaft isnt even attached on the inner side. all 6 of the bolts have come out, a couple are sheared and the rest are just out.

i dont know if the bolts have somehow all come loose and its just falled off, but its not good.

would i just have to replace the inner joint? or would i be better replacing the whole shaft?
can only find one aftermarket joint and its on ebay:

AUDI A3 S3 TT A4 QUATTRO INNER CV JOINT NEW on eBay (end time 28-Jan-11 21:01:27 GMT)

dealers want £150+ vat for a single joint.

or would it be better to try and get a shaft from one being broken?
will a 225bhp shaft fit my 210bhp?

also my s3 is fitted with a 5speed box (weird i know) will that make any difference?

any help much appreciated
Jon

was driving yesterday, went to pull out of a junction, and the car was finding it difficult to move, there was a lound clunk, and it started banging and dragging the front left wheel.making it jump etc.

got it trailored home, ive had a look under and the car, and the shaft isnt even attached on the inner side. all 6 of the bolts have come out, a couple are sheared and the rest are just out.

i dont know if the bolts have somehow all come loose and its just falled off, but its not good.

would i just have to replace the inner joint? or would i be better replacing the whole shaft?
can only find one aftermarket joint and its on ebay:

AUDI A3 S3 TT A4 QUATTRO INNER CV JOINT NEW on eBay (end time 28-Jan-11 21:01:27 GMT)

dealers want £150+ vat for a single joint.

or would it be better to try and get a shaft from one being broken?
will a 225bhp shaft fit my 210bhp?

also my s3 is fitted with a 5speed box (weird i know) will that make any difference?

any help much appreciated
Jon

IMO it's a no brainer mate. I needed two CV joints, I just bought a pair of shafts from a breakers.

Think they were £60 for the pair, which was cheaper than the 2 CV joints alone.

Get a shaft is easiest.

IMO it's a no brainer mate. I needed two CV joints, I just bought a pair of shafts from a breakers.

Think they were £60 for the pair, which was cheaper than the 2 CV joints alone.

Get a shaft is easiest.

can i get the shaft from any S3 or would it have to be a 210?
would the fact mines got a 5speeder make a difference?

just called GSF and they said part number 439VG0450 which is listed as an A3 1.8 T would fit, and they have that for £50

just called audi and they said the 1.8t and s3 inner cv joints are different, so i wouldnt be able to get one from GSF if thats right,
idealy id pick up a whole shaft with the joints attached, just dont know if it needs to be a specific S3 shaft?

can i get the shaft from any S3 or would it have to be a 210?
would the fact mines got a 5speeder make a difference?

just called GSF and they said part number 439VG0450 which is listed as an A3 1.8 T would fit, and they have that for £50

Sorry dude, I missed that. No they aren't the same, but you already know this.

just called audi and they said the 1.8t and s3 inner cv joints are different, so i wouldnt be able to get one from GSF if thats right,
idealy id pick up a whole shaft with the joints attached, just dont know if it needs to be a specific S3 shaft?

Nope, not specific. Audi TT Quattro shafts fit, as do the A3 1.8TQ shafts. I am running a pair of TT shafts on the S3 now.

Hmmm, may be worth matching part numbers though...

Last edited:
welly what scrappy did you get them shafts from, i was quoted 150 from a breakers yard and nearly fell over.

welly what scrappy did you get them shafts from, i was quoted 150 from a breakers yard and nearly fell over.

Well, not exactly a scrappie - a guy who owns a scrappie and was breaking a TT, but selling them on the bay. I saw them on there and phoned him up. I'll try and dig out wwho it was.

Ended up having the prop off of the same car.