1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inlet manifold swap??

scr8pdo Dec 22, 2012

1. scr8pdo

scr8pdo Member

Iam going to have a go at cleaning the inlet side of things as I have put in another thread, but to save some down time on my car, I was considering buying a 2nd hand inlet manifold, then cleaning that before I strip my car down and then I could just swap it over once it was cleaned.

My question is: is my engine the AFN? its the 110 BHP VE one, not the PD, or would it matter if I was to put a later one on, would I benefit from say a later PD manifold because of a better design etc or would it take a lot of modification to fit on my car.

Any help would be great, Steve :)

2. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

Your car will benefit from a pd 130 manifold, you will also need the boost pipes from inter cooler and the plastic hard pipe which connects to the inlet manifold. While you there, buy a allard Egr valve delete so you can benefit from more flow to the engine as well... If you need a manifold then I have one in good nick, yours for £50...

3. scr8pdo

scr8pdo Member

My airbox is non existant, it has a cone filter straight onto the inlet duct, so what exactly would I need bearing that in mind ? So I need I/C pipes, but is the I/cooler itself the same? and the hard plastic pipe???

4. adamss24

I suggest you fit back the air box, it's much better at filtering **** than any cone filter. You will need the plastic pipe and boost pipes at a minimum, the inter cooler is slightly larger on the pd engine but not by much. Stock cooler is good to over 180Bhp so would not upgrade it unless running at least a bv43 turbo. Intake manifold has better designed runners so the engine breathes better + let's you use a Egr delete and also add a boost gauge if necessary.

5. scr8pdo

scr8pdo Member

Thanks for the reply mate, maybe it already has the 130 manifold as the car seems to have been some what modded, it does already have a boost gauge fitted, is there any way to tell by looking?

Whoever had the car previous has spent a lot of money on it in the past by the looks of it and may have made some minor mods, ie it has a full set of new coilovers all round, 19" alloys, boost gauge, also has a tuning box fitted along with what looks like a lot of mods to the boost and vac pipes, some blanked in places, it also seems very quick off the mark for a 1.9 TDi Audi but it lacks top end and feels restricted higher in the rev range, hence the idea of cleaning the manifold.

So is there any obvious way I could tell if it has already had the manifold upgrade??

6. scr8pdo

scr8pdo Member

While iam at it all, I plan to replace all the vac lines as a precautionary measure, I have owned a lot of Turbo cars in the past, mainly T5 Volvos and know that boost and vac leaks play a massive part in poor performance, I always use fuel hoses instead of silicone for a couple reasons:

1 I cant stand the lairy colours that silicone pipes come in, it can make the engine bay look like a big ball of dayglo blue spaghetti :)
    2 Fuel hose is reinforced and very strong compared to warm floppy silicone hose and will stand up to abuse better
    3 Fuel hose is readily available and cheap.

I understand also that there is a length of vac hose within the ECU? If so where is the ECU located, I havent even looked for it yet.

I just waiting for the weather to improve a bit then I will have a stab at it, meanwhile I have been squirelling all the parts, oil and fuel filters, 5 litres of Halfords fully syn 5/30, I off to get the fuel hose, gaskets etc.

I have been looking online at this engine and I love the way you could see nigh on 200 bhp from a fairly small diesel engine with a few mods, iam not looking for that sort of power but would love to see a genuine 140ish and it seems quite capable of this with the right bits, but first on the list is to get it running right at a standard rate, ie the intake all degunked and no vac/boost leaks.

A great forum BTW :)

7. adamss24

Post a picture of the engine bay, that will tell me if it's modded and has more than just a EGR blanking plate !

8. adamss24

This is pd 130 manifold with Alard EGR delete pipe:
    [​IMG]

This is stock 110Bhp manifold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]