Injectors - worth checking?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My car is in for servicing today. It's a 2003 2.4 V6, with about 75,000 miles. Is it worth asking the garage to check, and clean, the injectors. I read somewhere recently that this can restore quite a lot of lost BHP.

Opinions?

Jeff ,I have my 2.4 v6 in for an service today 66,000 its having the cambelt, water pump,b/f,and an long life service .... can the injectors be clean by my self ??

paz

You could just add a injector cleaning additive to your petrol the next time you fill up, can't do them any harm.

Easy solution, pour in about 1/2 a pint of good quality paraffin, the type you can buy in petrol stations. It is the main component of Redex cleaner, and is really cheap. About 1/2 a pint to each full tank, it will gently clean off gunk and muck. Don't put much more than 1/2 a pint in as it can be a bit harsh on rubber seals in the fuel system. I used to tip a bit in every 4th tank full on my old Alfa 155 and 156. It used to smoke a wee bit for the first 10 miles or so after it went in, then it stopped. Worked particularly well on the 2.5 V6 in my Alfa 155. It really helped out the speed of starting on that beast!