information on a S3

lynch

Reaction score
I wonder if someone would be able to tell me what sort of mpg they get in the s3 around town and motorways and what sort of miles they would get to a full tank of petrol. What are the good and bad points of a s3

cheers lynch

i've got a 2.0T which is similar and that gives me around 32mpg. i drove it from leeds to brum and then to and from work and stuff at the tank lasted me 380 miles. expect worse figures for an S3 because it's in a higher state of tune and has a heavy four wheel drive system.

good points: looks, mega tunable, understated and classy, fast, four wheel drive for bad weather, fuel economy when you consider how fast it is, relatively practical, can be a mile muncher when you want but you can still take it to a track and have a blast

bad points: they're about to change the model, only ppl in the know will notice it's not just another A3, expensive, very poorly equipped as standard (tho now sat nav is standard but they've bumped the price to compensate), rear seats on 3dr aren't great

if you're buying new i wouldn't bother if you're considering a 3dr. get an A5 2.0T quattro instead.

S3 is the thirstiest most over rated, over priced car on the road.
If you want some thrill for your hard earned £££££`s, buy a Mitsibushi evo FQ 300 /320 /340.
They will make you feel like you are as good a driver as Sebastian Loeb.
They will always feel like any Jap car does, but much bigger smiles & a far more capable car than the s3 will ever be.

If you want some thrill for your hard earned £££££`s, buy a Mitsibushi evo FQ 300 /320 /340.
They will always feel like any Jap car does, but much bigger smiles & a far more capable car than the s3 will ever be.

Make sure you buy a burberry cap and wear it back to front too, and dont forget the gold chain!!!

Chavs can't afford Evo Xs. They're like £40k

In the US only douchbags, like jersey shore guys drive around evos. You don't want to be associated with them in any part of the world.

Interesting...you're recommending a car which has even worse MPG around town than an S3.

Yes the Evo is very capable,but a similarly powered and sorted S3 will give it quite a shock(and there are a few round my way that have found that out).

Last edited:
troll.jpg

I wonder if someone would be able to tell me what sort of mpg they get in the s3 around town and motorways and what sort of miles they would get to a full tank of petrol. What are the good and bad points of a s3

cheers lynch

Low 20s in heavy traffic and heavy footed driving.
Mid 20s mixed driving.
Low 30s on a run.

Not that much different to the plethora of 200bhp + hatches already out there really.
Mine is remapped too so you dont have to rev the nuts off it to make progress.

It certainly isnt an economic car but for a 300bhp+ 4wd hatch then its not bad.

Apart from the cabin, the S3 isnt brilliant at any one thing.

But this is the whole point, its really good at loads of stuff and the reason why most owners choose them, lots of ticked boxes. So I guess its a `brilliant` allrounder.

Im a big fan, hence had this one for 2 1/2 yrs. Previous record was 18months. Says a lot about the car IMO.

Cheers
Paul

totally agree with Paul here.. i had my Cooper s 3 years... but i was always thinking of my next car... since owning the S3 all ive really thought about is modding her and possibly even grabbing another one next year, but ill probably be stopped by the fact the new A3/S3 platform will be out soon... which ill probs buy!

in terms of fast hatches... (only cars ill be able to afford for a good few years) ill buy an A3/S3 everytime... untill i can afford a E90 M3/997 2S

cheers for the information one other question what is all the difference between the 2007 model and the 2009 model facelift wise

front lights (both Xenon but LED DRLs in '09), rear lights, front bumper, front bonnet, FBSW as standard, wheels, wing mirrors, 5 dr version and DSG as an option. then just little things like chunkier knobs on the climate control, white instrument cluster instead of red...

power and tech specs identical

The wife's got a S3, it is a nice car! she gets less than 20mpg out of it though, but she drives it like she's stolen it!

I get 25 around town and just over 30 on a run. The best I've had out of it is 34 mpg on a motorway commute to work (35 miles).

You won't regret getting one!

....only you'll visit the petrol station regularly!

front lights (both Xenon but LED DRLs in '09), rear lights, front bumper, front bonnet, FBSW as standard, wheels, wing mirrors, 5 dr version and DSG as an option. then just little things like chunkier knobs on the climate control, white instrument cluster instead of red...

power and tech specs identical

would the headlights be a straight swap or do you have to change the bumpers etc on it

would anybody be able to tell me if the headlights from a 2010 s3 would fit a 2007 s3

they arnt a straight swap if i remember right, means a new bumper, wings and bonnet, plus a new wiring loom to account for the LED DRLs so a fair bit of work, but can be done and someone on here has done it

as above, and the plugs aren't the same so loads of wiring, new front slam panel as well and then you'd have to get the wing mirrors changed for the ones with indicators in them as you'd lose the indicators on the wings. on an S3 the casings are £800 alone.

it's P5SND (phil) who's done it, and he only did it because he got a car that had been in a smash. i've had the work priced up at £4kish. is it really worth it for some lights?