1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inertia's S3 Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Inertiauk, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 18, 2011]
    Update :

Haldex Service Done, 0.7mm gapped plugs recommended above fitted, oil changed probably for the last time until next service (mobil 1 Fully synthetic 5w30), Coolant changed, AH FMIC fitted. New Fuel Filter.

Compression tested (warm engine)
    Cylinder 1 - 160PSI, Cylinder 2 - 155 PSI, Cylinder 3 - 155PSI, Cylinder 4 - 150PSI

Jobs for Tuesday next week - Fit 90mm Cold air intake pointed to the JR filter from where the SMIC was - Fit horns back on somewhere (took them off as they were hanging out of the bottom of the bumper)
    Fit oil pressure gauge.
    Test for Boost leaks.
    Fit Inline Fuel pump from Badger 5, presuming its here.

Then presuming the oil pressure reads normal when the light is on, it can go to R-tech by this time next week.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Nov 18, 2011]
    Well done mate coming along nicely....:icon_thumright:
  3. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

[Nov 18, 2011]
    Pics or it never happened.... :p
  4. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 19, 2011]
    Sorry Mush I'm using a mechanic (Lee) and we've never really taken any pics just got on with it.

Anyway ....................

White smoke :(, Very Broken :(, Needs stripping down again :(.
    Still has boost and runs without throwing any codes but defiantly burning lots of coolant.

Loosing heart in the whole car now. Looking at cars I could've bought with the money i've sunk into this and actually have them on the road. :sob:
    Tempted to get a (these days very reasonably priced) 3.2 A3 8P and just sell this off as unfinished project / spares. If it doesn't start going smoother after its stripped down this time that's what I will do.

Back in the GF's corsa for now.
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Nov 20, 2011]
    not nice to hear things like this. but then its alot of work to take on and even the most knowledgable and skilled mechanics can get things wrong, and/or other outside influences like turbo companies arent always 100%. its a shame. but with a bit of luck you'l be sorted soon and be glad to have spent the money.
    its all good and well buying something that might already be quicker, but if you love your s3 and you'l love the work and money you've put in to reach your end result. im sure just buying a quicker car wouldnt give you the same sense of satisfaction. provided you do get to enjoy the car eventually.
  6. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 20, 2011]
    Thanks Karl,

I'm giving it another chance and extending its budget a little, fingers crossed.

Your sig cheered me up a bit ll.
  7. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 20, 2011]
    I agree with Karl persevere with this also before you get an 8P 3.2 speak to paddy on here about them
  8. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Nov 20, 2011]
    Was the head skimmed before assembly? your not having much look...chin up mate...
  9. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 20, 2011]
    the head was fully reconditioned and skimmed. Lee is thinking its turbo related but head has to come off either way.
  10. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 20, 2011]
    On a K04 turbo are the water channels inside of the housing with iron separating the water (like in many other turbos) or is there a water seal like the oil seal ?
  11. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Nov 22, 2011]
    what was clean white almost scentless steam when I parked up Saturday was blue smelly smoke this morning when I limped it into the garage to be stripped.

I should find out the cause soon .....
  12. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    I fell out with the car to the extent that I haven't been back on and updated this thread for a long time, but time to push on now .....

The big end bearings (Shells) I bought recommended in this post : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...est-value-manifold-few-other.html#post1311952 have been the cause of all of my problems, they were shedding bits of coating and polluting the oil, even with multiple oil changes its no wonder the pressure switch kept failing, probably getting clogged.

I have had to rebuild my brand new turbo as a result (£600 cost so it now stands me @ £2000) and in the process of having the engine rebuilt again, this time using shells supplied by Oldham engines.

Thinking back on everything I threw money at to try and cure the problem, and everything I still have to do now these shells have cost me in the region of £2500, probably more. as well as 5+ Months of my cars time off the road, and endless stress
    I will be writing to the manufacturers, I don't expect I will get any compensation but it might save someone else the heartache.

It was Turbo dynamics diagnosis that the oil had a contaminant and this killed the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]CHRA, which I then had verified by other turbo companies that prompted the investigations which found the cause. So thanks to them I guess.[/FONT]

Looking forward at least we got to the bottom of it, and can now rebuild with faith.

Onwards and upwards :arco:
    Smoking a 2000 Volvo C70 GT T5 (Manual) about in the meantime, which is a lot nicer than I expected.

Ultimately and important lesson that might help others ....... If you get oil pressure switch problems, replace the switch and then get them again a short while after, stop driving and investigate possible oil contamination problems, especially if you verify the oil pressure is correct with a mechanical gauge.
    damo.h likes this.
  13. SteveBAM

SteveBAM Black '03 S3

[Feb 2, 2012]
    sad to hear this has happened, hope it all turns out well for you...
  14. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Thats bad news..... is your car cursed, more worrying for me is i have them bearings in, but dont seem to be having issues, it will be interesting to see what they say... P.E.C are a reputable company so see what happens...
  15. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Without starting a new thread, oil contamination puzzles me a little! I've heard quite a few turbo companies blame oil contamination for failure of rebuilt turbos. Problem I have is that, ok you pick up **** and maybe the coating of your bearing does come off or bits of rubbish comes out the engine into the oil but the oil for the turbo comes directly from the feed of the outlet of the oil filter, it's not like the turbo is fed dirty oil from the sump or head, it's as clean as it can be! And having built Quite a few turbos now I would love to know how they can tell oil contamination has caused the problem and what differentiates that from a bad rebuild. It just to me seems an easy get out clause for them. I also know someone who had a turbo rebuilt by a well known turbo company for his BMW, which failed 200 miles down the road, he sent it back and they claimed the same oil contamination problem, he asked them to supply proof of such and evidence to back up the claim as he had got someone at our work to test the oil which was found to be clean, and guess what they replaced it for free. While I appreciate this doesn't help your cause I do feel " oil contamination" is an easy get out for them and yes your switch may have been plugged and possibly failed the turbo and it seems your bearing may be bad, but There still shouldn't be enough Swaff getting through the filter to fail the turbo. Just my opinion.
  16. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Dave, maybe yours are fine and mine were dodgy, I'm not saying they only sell ones that fail, but that mine did.

Brachbuggy, mine wasn't rebuilt it was a built from brand new points to order as a brand new charger.
    Their proof was photos of my cleaned up CHRA with scores and scratches on it that they say could have only been caused by a contaminant.
    However I fully agree with you, and I'm sure it's often used as a get out excuse. I don't even know for sure that was from my turbo, have to take their word for it.

However I do know on inspection my shells are knackered and have defiantly shed bits of coating.

Please don't say it's cursed Dave lol, I'm still spending on it to finally get it right, gonna owe me 20k this car if it carries on :-/
  17. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Whatever happened it sure is bad luck and i hope you get some joy out of P.E.C i think they will have an investigations dept.
    Good luck...:icon_thumright:
  18. beachbuggy

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Out of interest do you still have the photos? Knowing turbos pretty well I would love to see their evidence. I have received brand new and supposedly ready to fit chra housings from one company that had noticeable Swaff still inside . I can't believe particals small enough to get through an oil filter could cause scratches, it's not possible! Sorry but that sounds fishy to me.
  19. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    I have yes, will post them tomorrow plus going to garage so will post pictures of my shells and crank too.
  20. beachbuggy

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Ps I'm not saying this to make you feel worse just I think it sucks it happened to you.
  21. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    It sure does, no offence taken at all, and if something can be learned from my mistakes to save somone else this nightmare then it's worth talking about.
  22. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Feb 2, 2012]
    I would forward the turbo manufacturers findings direct to P.E.C and let them fight it out...:icon_thumright:
  23. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Here are the pictures from Turbo Dynamics.

Bearing Scoring :
    [​IMG]

Shaft Scoring :

[​IMG]

I will be prepared to do this Dave, and send them both pictures, but I'm not delaying the build any further, would be nice to have a drive of my S3 some time lol.

will post shell and crank pictures tomorrow when I take them.
    Pedrosousa likes this.
  24. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Mar 29, 2012]
    10 Months on and its very nearly ready to go for its custom Map at Rtech performance,

when I rang rtech and gave my spec they advised and in-line fuel pump, they mentioned Badger 5's kit which I bought.
    However they did mention to fit the pump in the engine bay, badger 5's kit is designed to replace the fuel filter which you then replace with a filter in the engine bay but from an ibiza cupra so it doesn't take much space.

Fitting the pump into the engine bay as advised by rtech would be possible but it will get hot, and there isnt a lot of space for it.

Do you guys think it will make any difference at all if I fit it as Bill specifies or as rtech are telling me to. Rtech say fitting it closer to the injectors will improve the spray pattern ?

Thanks.
  25. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Mar 29, 2012]
    Initial thoughts are a fire risk if the pump is in the bay,,,? but i cannot add anything further.....
  26. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Mar 29, 2012]
    if the fuel is at X amount of pressure, how can the position of the fuel pump change the spray pattern. the pattern will be what ever the injectors are and what ever the fuel pressure is. surely?
  27. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Mar 30, 2012]
    pump location will make no difference to delivery to the rail at fpr controlled pressure.
    I would advise fitting as I previously suggested.
  28. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[Mar 30, 2012]
    Which I will be doing, Thanks.
  29. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[May 7, 2012]
    Getting transported to Rtech in the morning. Here's hoping I will be driving it back finished and running sweet in ~ a week.

:applaus::blackrs4::applaus:

Its about time :-/
  30. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[May 7, 2012]
    I'm running lean on the top end following a recent map and am having an engine bay mounted in line pump fitted next week. It should be fine, if mounted correctly.
  31. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Project Aborted, Rtech got the car and said it has a slight rattle from the bottom end and they don't want to proceed, and can I collect it again.

1 Hiccup to many and forking out money after money on a car I haven't had for 10 months, its time to give up. Its caused me lots of hassle and maybe I used the wrong parts, or the wrong people for the job or both, so its my mistake, time to cut my losses.
    I am going to buy either an A3 3.2 or a V8 S4 instead (Leaning towards the S4).

I'm hoping to sell the whole thing for someone else to sort out or strip, if I have to I will break it myself but not really got space or time.

Will post a classified later describing the car as it comes and open to offers.
  32. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[May 11, 2012]
    Bad luck dude :(
  33. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Thanks, its almost a relief to jack it in.
  34. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

35. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[May 11, 2012]
    nice S6, V8.... I know of one for sale too...
  36. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

[May 11, 2012]
    :ohmy:
  37. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Not sure if I would want an Auto, as nice as they are.
  38. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Classifieds seems a bit broken at the moment, going to stick this here for now ...

39. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[May 11, 2012]
    bad news man :( gutting. but to be honest, id prob give in at some point.
    a shame
  40. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[May 11, 2012]
    Really gutted for you mate, i know the stress and what a financial nightmare this has been, Why have so many builds gone wrong recently??? im guessing the shells have gone again? its got to be user error, did you see the other builds post where the shells or the wrong torquing on the ARP bolts have caused him a nightmare?
    Anyway you can certainly only take it for so long, so good luck with the sale and hope you have a better future purchase...