Indy's 2.0TDI Progress Thread

looking forward to you build :), you can fit chrome switches on your climate controll, Ash has done it he will be around an he got a thread on it,

i think you should get vortex side skirts to finsh it..

welcome to ASN.

looking forward to you build :), you can fit chrome switches on your climate controll, Ash has done it he will be around an he got a thread on it,

i think you should get vortex side skirts to finsh it..

welcome to ASN.

Cheers, I'll have to look into it. Last time I did it seemed like a lot of effort.

I'm not too keen on the Votex items, think it could be a step too far in terms of what I'm trying to achieve.

After reading this thread i can see this one will be one to keep an eye on. Keep up the good work :arco:

Cheers mate, looking forward to uploading more pictures in a day or two!

Stay away from Votex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OEM+ bro :wub:

Thanks mate I'll take a look at that link.

As for the steering wheel, mines a manual.

I just know this is going to be an epic build thread and can't wait to see the updates. You obviously have bucketloads of style Indy, that Polo of yours was awesome! Sorry to hear about the bumper seller letting you down so badly, dude. That's really poor. Crack on and keep up the fab work!! :wub: xx

Hi Indy,

I am looking forward to this build thread! the ones that get on with it straight away usually always turn out to be epic!

I was going to suggest the chrome climate control knobs but Amar beat me to it!
I have loads of different mods done on mine so if you need any help or advice on anything gimmi a shout.

what happened to that rear bumper then?

I just know this is going to be an epic build thread and can't wait to see the updates. You obviously have bucketloads of style Indy, that Polo of yours was awesome! Sorry to hear about the bumper seller letting you down so badly, dude. That's really poor. Crack on and keep up the fab work!! :wub: xx

Thanks Paullie! I'm going to miss the Polo when it's gone for sure.

I spoke to the guys at the bodyshop yesterday and they've managed to sort the A3 bumper issue. I'm not sure if they've made custom brackets or used the ones from my standard bumper.

Looking forward to updating this thread with some pictures when it comes out in two days time :)

Hi Indy,

I am looking forward to this build thread! the ones that get on with it straight away usually always turn out to be epic!

I was going to suggest the chrome climate control knobs but Amar beat me to it!
I have loads of different mods done on mine so if you need any help or advice on anything gimmi a shout.

what happened to that rear bumper then?

Cheers mate, really didn't want to waste any time getting stuck in. I'm starting my new job on Monday so I wanted to get as much done as possible whilst having the free time.

Really appreciate you offering your help and support. I don't think I am confident enough to tackle the facelift knob mod on my own at the moment, so if I decide to do that you could be hearing from me :happy:

New LED sidelights arrived today, courtesy of Trups.

Looking forward to fitting them once the cars back. Standard sidelights are some of the worst I've ever seen. So, so dim.

IMG_5551.jpg

Just picked the car up. My word it looks stunning! It is shinier than I ever could have imagined!

One slight issue, the fog lights aren't working, because the wiring wouldn't clip into the fog light plugs. So I'm on the look out for some S-Line fog plugs with a bit of the wiring loom still present so I can join the wires. Will hopefully get that done next week. It's already annoying me starting the car up to a beep that both fog lights aren't working!

As for pictures, I couldn't get any so tomorrow I will when it's light! The SLR is charged and raring to go!

Can't wait to see it in the light!

Hi Indy,

Are these not the parts below?

Repair wire x 2 - part number 000 979 244E
Fog plugs x 2 - part number for the pair 3D0 941 165A

I've just ordered them from Audi on you recommendation to my Post for a tdi sport to S-Line conversion.

Let us know as if there wrong & I'll cancel the order.

Cheers mate

Jay

I got those part numbers from Ads thread. They are the correct parts but the body shop were having difficulties connecting them so not sure if they damaged the existing wiring.

Your right.. just checked a few places and comes up with them numbers?

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow trying to fit them

Cheers Indy.. Good Luck with yours!

Jay

They are definitely the right parts mate. The guys just couldn't get the existing wires to clip into the plug slots. Will get them sorted this week.

Right then, here are the photos! Really pleased with how they came out. I've been doing a lot of research to try and improve my photography skills and gladly it's starting to pay off.

I'm short of time today so I just took these photos at home. When I get my wheels I'll go to a better location.

Some pictures of the front. The grill has been painted in body colour so it is a perfect match and flows well with the bumper. Notice how I've also had the number plate plinth painted. I got this idea from my Mum's A5. The gloss black emblem stands out well against the matt black grill slats.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_18111.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

Some shots of the rear. The exhaust will be sorted this week. At the moment it's non-existent with the new diffuser. I really look how beefy the car looks from the back now.

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Hopefully won't be too long until the next mod! It's going back into the bodyshop this week to get the fog lights connected up and the little badge clip removed from the front grill.

Thanks for looking :)

Reactions: RedDejavu
Looks good mate.. Got me wanting to do back backend now! lol

OMG the snow is epic! I dont have any :(

Cars pretty cool too

:laugh:

Really appreciate you offering your help and support. I don't think I am confident enough to tackle the facelift knob mod on my own at the moment, so if I decide to do that you could be hearing from me :happy:

if you want i can help with the facelift knob m not far from leeds :)

and wow car is looking amazing, like the grill :)

OMG the snow is epic! I dont have any :(

Cars pretty cool too

:laugh:

Cheers mate :)

Great execution.

Thank you!

if you want i can help with the facelift knob m not far from leeds :)

and wow car is looking amazing, like the grill :)

Cheers. I didn't think an S3 grill would work but it has turned out much better than I thought. Thanks for offering to help with the facelift climate knobs. I'm looking to do this quite soon after finishing the exterior!

looks lovely mate, Paintwork looks stunning!

Ta mate. I'm hoping it will come up better once I get some 'proper' detailing products on it!

Looks really nice mate. Particularly liking the rear for some reason.

That's a nice looking house you have there too!

What wheels you going for?

Looks really nice mate. Particularly liking the rear for some reason.

That's a nice looking house you have there too!

What wheels you going for?

Thanks mate :)

I like the rear more than the front too at the moment. It just looks really beefy. As soon as the exhaust and MY11 lights go on it should look even better!

I'm set on 18" BBS CK's in silver, which I'll then have re-furbed in dark anthracite after running them for a few months. Reason I'm not going for anthracite from the offset is that they're £300 more to buy than the silvers (not sure why) and they aren't dark enough, so would need re-painting anyway.

Looks sooooo good can't wait to see some decent rims on it.

its just a shame you cant have the sportback lights fitted to really finish off the back.

I'm really liking the trim on the grill and nunber plate plinth matching the paintwork. it looks very sleek. personally i like the 4 rings to be chrome and stand out, but it still looks lovely.

Looks sooooo good can't wait to see some decent rims on it.

Cheers mate, that hopefully won't be too long a wait!

its just a shame you cant have the sportback lights fitted to really finish off the back.

I'm really liking the trim on the grill and nunber plate plinth matching the paintwork. it looks very sleek. personally i like the 4 rings to be chrome and stand out, but it still looks lovely.

I know they are not a touch on Sportback lights but the MY11 ones will be on the car soon!

I was set on chrome rings, but literally on the last day changed to black. So far not regretting it :)

That looks sweeet mate! The paintwork looks stunning in the pictures. Just waiting to see what the exhaust looks like now so i can get mine done :happy:

Looks lovely mate.

Cheers Timmy

Looks very nice that does bud.

Ta mate!

That looks sweeet mate! The paintwork looks stunning in the pictures. Just waiting to see what the exhaust looks like now so i can get mine done :happy:

Cheers, I am hoping to bring the paintwork up properly in the next day or two with some Black Hole glaze!

Exhaust is booked in for 8.30am Wednesday morning. Looking forward to it!

The exhaust is going to make that rear look so mean. The sound will hopefully even better!! I'll be following suit very close behind with the exact same exhaust set up once I've seen yours!! Might try pop down to the garage on Wednesday to have a word with them and check your bad boy out!!!!

The exhaust is going to make that rear look so mean. The sound will hopefully even better!! I'll be following suit very close behind with the exact same exhaust set up once I've seen yours!! Might try pop down to the garage on Wednesday to have a word with them and check your bad boy out!!!!

You best set your alarm early then. It's booked in for 8.30am haha!

Right, so this morning I had my backbox removed and exhaust tip fitted by Tony Banks Longlife Exhaust Centre in Leeds.

I'm really pleased with the job, and would recommend this sort of exhaust to anyone with a TDI (can't comment on petrol). It cost me £80 and I provided the tips. The sound whilst in the car is barely different to factory, so it is very comfortable to drive, but if outside the car you can really hear the turbo and the car sounds aggressive under hard acceleration. I am tempted to say that the car also feels slightly more responsive, although this does not surprise me as I have read in a number of places that the backbox is very restrictive on the diesels.

Obviously the one problem is that the tips do blacken very quickly, but a 30second buff with some metal polish each week will keep them looking good as new.

IMG_5713.jpg

After half a day's driving:

IMG_5694.jpg

Quick 30 second polish with Meguiars Metal Polysh brings them back upto scratch:

IMG_5712.jpg

Outstanding pipe work. Only one piece used:

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

Also part way through a full detail of the car. Stripped all the wax that the bodyshop used so I can use my own glaze, sealant and wax.

Even though it only came out of the bodyshop on Friday, and was fully machine polished, there's no fooling a clay bar!

IMG_5710.jpg

Also fitted the EM Tuning LED sidelights today (what a ballache) but don't have any pictures of that.

That's all, for now.

ONEEEE second? isnt the car really loud Indy as theres no rear backbox no more???

ONEEEE second? isnt the car really loud Indy as theres no rear backbox no more???

Nope.

It's very hard to get sound out of a 2.0TDI. You don't really hear any difference at all unless you really floor it.

All the sound is outside the car, very little -if anything- is heard from inside the car.

Wouldn't have happened without your inspiration Sir :D