1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

induction kit or not

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by harvey01, May 16, 2012.

1. harvey01

harvey01 Member

[May 16, 2012]
    ive got a JR induction kit but im thinking of gitting a standerd airbox with panel filter or a ramair sealed kit . Whats best and do you have prof ie rolling road tests ?
  2. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Optional but I have an induction kit and I'm changing to a Jr cone on the maf. Seems to uve good gains
  3. harvey01

harvey01 Member

[May 16, 2012]
    thats what ive got but you cant get a good cold air feed because of the side mounts
  4. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Cone down at bumper is the best for cold air, but best to use foam filter, which are better for repelling water.
  5. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    That's what I thought but when you think about it, it doesnt matter how cold the air is if its going through a piping hot turbo. You want to getbas much air as possible. Maybe a cold air intake by the bumper with a ma-hoosive cone filter :D
  6. Customboy

Customboy Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Just check out my jetex thread mate I was running standard airbox that was smoothed and drilled see pics and fitted a cold air feed to airbox from front bumper, just today fitted a 80mm jetex cone filter and I love it but reason for fitting was for my future ko4 conversion but if u need a panel filter I got my pipercross one still mint only covered 1000 miles if that !

Pipercross filter
    [​IMG]

My cold air feed from front bumper
    [​IMG]

Feed to airbox
    [​IMG]

My new jetex air filter
    [​IMG]

Fitted inside airbox and still using cold air feed
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps mate the air feed is a real bonus I loved both this setup and my pipercross panel filter both worked great for me any more help or question just ask mate

Bobby aka customboy
  7. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Still best to keep the intake air as cold as poss, an under bonnet cone will always suffer from heat soak, especially in traffic and on hot days, a front mount intercooler is a really good move too.
  8. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[May 17, 2012]
    In my opinion cone filters/induction kits subjective at best...more noise than anything else.

TIP is the crucial element as is cool air. Unless correct installation is applied, i cannot see how any cone filter will be better aside from perception provided by increased engine bay noise.

I'm running a smoothed standard airbox and uprated tip and it's delivering good results.

You'll probably find a 50/50 split with everyone on here. Some will and some won't but few can demonstrate proven benefits as most install new tip and cone at the same time.

Each to his own though.
  9. harvey01

harvey01 Member

[May 17, 2012]
    i have a tip but my worry is cold air feed as its an s3 you cant run the cold airfeed as the intercooler are in the way. As for the noise i dont realy notice any more with or without induction kit fitted .
  10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[May 17, 2012]