1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indicators not working properly

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by clcollins, Aug 14, 2006.

1. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Aug 14, 2006]
    Hi all, wondering if any of you have had / or heard of a similar problem. My indicators seem to have died…………when I indicate they do one of three things, (1) nothing, (2) flash for about 2 seconds at three times the normal speed, or (3) flash once at normal speed.

I’m hoping it’s just the flasher unit but have a feeling that it’s the indicator stalk. My reason for thinking this is that when I put the hazard lights on the lights work perfectly, so unless there are two flasher units (one for normal indication and one for hazards) then it’s the stalk.

Anyone got any ideas / advice?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 24, 2014]

3. cocain

cocain RAA RAA like a dungeon dragon!

[Aug 14, 2006]
    umm not sure but i remember when I changed my sub over in the back of my A3 a while back I had some strange things like that happen to my indicators. took it apart and went through the whole process again and it was ok. I asked someone and they said it may have been a dodgy earth wire in the loop but your case may be different.
  4. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 14, 2006]
    Yes, a dodgy earth on the A3 makes the dash go funny in a spooky sort of way, indicators become intermittent and the dash lights flicker all over the place.
  5. MarcA3Turbo

MarcA3Turbo Member

[Aug 14, 2006]
    Had a similar problem a while ago. Replaced the relay, but it didnt solve it, so have now put it down to the indicator stalk itself. Theres a replacement stalk on the way to me at the moment, so if you want I can let you know how I get on? And theres only 1 relay for both the hazards and the indicators. And I had the same symptoms too i.e hazards worked fine but indicators play up.
    HTH
    Marc
  6. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Aug 18, 2006]

Marc have you changed your indicator stalk yet, if so has it sorted out the problem?

As I have the same prob and really don't want to change the stalk without knowing for sure that's where the problem lies, how do I trace an earth fault (if there is one)?
  7. MarcA3Turbo

MarcA3Turbo Member

[Aug 18, 2006]
    Hi,
    indicator stalk was posted yesterday, should have it tomorrow, but I'm away until next Wednesday, so won't have it on until at least then, sorry! I'll let you know though as soon as I get it on.

Marc
  8. davidhodgkinson

davidhodgkinson Member

[Aug 18, 2006]
    If your after a stalk I think I've got one around somewhere
  9. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Oct 16, 2006]
    have you replaced your stalk yet marc? did it fix it?
  10. MarcA3Turbo

MarcA3Turbo Member

[Oct 16, 2006]
    No, believe it or not, still haven't gotten around to it! Have the new stalk sitting in my glove box, but haven't had it fitted yet. The problem is so intermittent i.e only happens for a few minutes every few weeks that it keeps slipping my mind. I'll make the effort to head down over the next couple of days though, just pure lazy really...
  11. MarcA3Turbo

MarcA3Turbo Member

[Dec 4, 2006]
    Eventually got around to fitting the new stalk last week, and glad to report that the problem is completely cured! Happy days :)
  12. olekvi

olekvi Member

[Dec 4, 2006]
    I had a similar problem.

Hazards worked 100%, but not indicators.

A new relay fixed everything. It is very easy to change, so you should give it a go :)
  13. dan_a3

dan_a3 Member

[Dec 6, 2006]
    I have got the same problem with mine, Spoke to Audi and they said it is a common fault and 9 out of 10 times is the hazard light switch blocking the signal of the indicators. Havent brought or fitted anything yet though so would be intersted to hear how you get on.
  14. bthechronic

bthechronic jack

[Mar 24, 2009]
    audi a3 quattro 1.8 turbo ,,,will you please tell me how you get on clcollins as i have the same problem by the sounds of things ,,,and can any one tell me how much the indicator stalks are,, do i need to change the relay as well all info greatley accepted
  15. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Mar 24, 2009]
    Mine was doing this when I test drove it before I bought it and one of the mechanics at the shop said the hazard relay was a common problem. They swapped the whole hazard switch bit out from an A4 and I haven't had a problem since.
  16. ty160

ty160 s3 tys

[Mar 24, 2009]
    this happened on my s3 and was the relay just replaced it , it just plug in
  17. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 24, 2009]
    that was two and a half years ago so hes probably had another relay since then :)
  18. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Mar 24, 2009]
    Probably a new car :laugh:
  19. adz_rolls

adz_rolls S3XY

[Apr 8, 2009]
    this has just happened to my s3. what part do i need and where do i get it from? and how do i fit a new relay? cheers
  20. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Apr 9, 2009]
    Hi mate, the flasher relay replacement is a 15 minute job if you have all the needed tools. Go to Stoke Audi section on here and request the part from Dave. Given a chassis number he can give you the correct part. I think it's in the region of 25 pounds, so not too big of a deal.

To replace the relay (it's one unit, but contains two separate relays - indicator relay flasher and hazard) you will probably be better off by removing the stereo to get a good grip on the panel that covers the top part of the central console (cup holder, ESP buttons and hazard button/relay). I managed to remove this panel without taking the stereo out, because my car had a bigger gap than usual, so a blunt/flat table knife went in there nicely.

In any case, carefully lever off the panel from the bottom and then pull the panel slightly up and towards you. It's held in with clips, so be careful not to damage any of them.

The next part is a little fiddly, but you will need to get a flat screwdriver in the corner of the hazard switch and lever it out of place. Once out, it's just a matter of un-clipping the connector replacing the flasher with the new unit (test the indicators at this point) and push it back into place. The rest is in reverse.