Increasing longitivity(Engine rebuild)

The EP3 is quick and handles well, but if you were looking at VW/AUDI then im guessing some sort of interior would also be important to you? You really dont get anything in an EP3 other than the chassis and engine, but then i guess that means there is less to go wrong with them

Don't be put off s3's with this thread lol. It's just a discussion, were not zayin every s3 will fail, it won't lol. This is just a mod to further the life of your engine.

I realise this is a forum and quite a few only use it when there's something wrong, so giving a false impression......but there does seem like an awful lot of things to go wrong. If i do decide to purchase one guess i'll have to go in with open eyes....and wallet. Dont think i can be bothered with the hassle though as it will be a daily driver for me, which requires reliability!

Problem with forums that most people only post when they have a problem.... there are a few enthusiasts of course that will post up all the positive things they have done but for the most part people turn to forums as they have issues with thier cars...

All the probs you see here are common across all VAGs... I have seen alot of the same probs on Seats, VWs and Audi's...

S3's being a little rarer than your average Golf will make it trickier to find a really good example but they are out there if you look... the 8L S3 is getting to the age where people will own one as its a fast car but may not look after it as well as owners did when newer... they are also getting on in mileage and things wear and perish especially the miles of rubber hoses under the bonnet...

Yes my S3 gives me grief occasionally and thankfully I am reasonably handy with a spanner but I love her to death... even Welly loves his S3... most days ;P

<tuffty/>

Yes my S3 gives me grief occasionally and thankfully I am reasonably handy with a spanner but I love her to death... even Welly loves his S3... most days ;P

She can be a bitch, but I do love her muchly. Similar relationship to the missus really.... :think:

tuffty, I think it is at a age when a majority of them are owned by enthusiasts, someone spending 28k on a new one just for the new car feeling will be be less inclined to look after it

I realise this is a forum and quite a few only use it when there's something wrong, so giving a false impression......but there does seem like an awful lot of things to go wrong. If i do decide to purchase one guess i'll have to go in with open eyes....and wallet. Dont think i can be bothered with the hassle though as it will be a daily driver for me, which requires reliability!

mines a daily driver, 50mile round trip commute, nothing gone wrong with her. Yes, this is a forum where people come to discuss moding or problems with their cars. Not many people write about how their commute to work was as uneventful as ever like myself. But here we go.

This morning i got up, late again! So i jumped in my car started her up first time. Started my commute, she warmed up. And then i raped her all the way to work. And then i got out of the car with a big smile on my face until i saw the front door of the office, and thought just 8.5 hours until i get to drive all the way back and live happily ever after with my S3 Been doing this for a little over 2 years now and all is well

mines a daily driver, 50mile round trip commute, nothing gone wrong with her. Yes, this is a forum where people come to discuss moding or problems with their cars. Not many people write about how their commute to work was as uneventful as ever like myself. But here we go.

This morning i got up, late again! So i jumped in my car started her up first time. Started my commute, she warmed up. And then i raped her all the way to work. And then i got out of the car with a big smile on my face until i saw the front door of the office, and thought just 8.5 hours until i get to drive all the way back and live happily ever after with my S3 Been doing this for a little over 2 years now and all is well

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

From now on cookstein, I'm going to put posts like that up :)

Don't want everyone thinking we drive heaps of garbage now do we!

I got up late, had te day off. Ate breakfast whilst checking out my baby on the drive. Started work on her to fit an egt sensor, which was a pleasure. Started first time, got her warm, took her for a local blast with a HUGE smile on my face (been driving a clio for weeks) and then let her cool while a tidied up. She felt much happier today after a right good seeing too and a quick 'rape'.....
....the car btw.

Last edited:
Joking aside mine is the daily commute, weekly shopping kart, and everyday skivvey......, and acts faultless
It has drove through 1 foot snow to get me to work....no drama....
all round rock.....

Step 1 , carried out - sump clean & pickup pipe changed

2l8xidv.jpg

4izm.jpg

Cambelt due next week + only using vpower or momentum , revo map timing set to ron 97-98

Very interesting thread here!

Am I right in thinking that all the recently reported failures have been on 19mm rods?

Bill, have you heard of any 20mm rods failling? and if so, at what levels?

I'm considering a ko3 hybrid for the track car, but in light of how spikey they seem to be, I'm considering using an MBC to cap boost at 18psi and keep the standard 20mm rods. i'd plumb it in in parallel like welly has

this is in the hope that it should limit torque to 260-270lbft max, and still allow it to make 270ish bhp at the top end. as top end boost will be uneffected. It should also be reliable, as it's been running 270+lbft from 24psi of boost for 50 000 miles and 3 years!

Can anyone see any good reason why that won't work? it should in theory make for a more driveable car too, as it won't have the typical torque spike that spins up the wheels in my little 'Rong wheel drive motor!

Well it's happened to me one bent con rod looking at £2000 to fix.

Looking on

Ttforum
Seatcupra net
Ukmkiv
audisrs
Briskskoda
Edition 38
Clubgti
Fourtitude

I can't see any rod failures, I am not saying it does bit happen but these forums are a microcosm of the real world

Copied from here: Audi S3 1.8t tuning by Angel tuning

To Niffty951,

My 3rd con rod after a stage 1 Custom Code remap. 70k on the clock 2003 full service history and can assure you does not get abused.

http://i43.tinypic.com/izta4x.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/5be1wy.jpg

That was "ment" to be 275BHP n 265 lbs.

So what do you think about that?

My £309 remap cost me £1700, £2200 if I didnt supply my own con rod and piston, oh, and thats £1700 after getting the map taken back off and refunded.

The guy didnt even make it to the main road to test drive it! Hit it hard to pull away and POP! Rolled back in tickin like a wind up toy.

Looking on

Ttforum - CHECK
Seatcupra net - CHECK
Ukmkiv
audisrs
Briskskoda
Edition 38
Clubgti
Fourtitude - CHECK

I can't see any rod failures, I am not saying it does bit happen but these forums are a microcosm of the real world

:p

sorry, im immature. Just five more to go, got to get 'em all

OK, OK, OK. Sorry.... lol.

Was just pointing out that there are others out there.

Keep the boost spike down and the engine well serviced and all should be well.