1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of info please...all help appreciated.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Bunty, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Bunty

Bunty New Member

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Audi S3....it has trouble starting from cold. It takes approx' 10 seconds to start from cold. Once it starts, you can turn it off and it will start straight away. The car has received a new timing belt, all filters, glow plugs about 5k miles ago. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue. I noticed that I can't hear the fuel pump prime...is this normal? I turned the key so that the dash lights up but I can't hear anything. I also had a listen for it when opening the driver's door but still can't hear it. When exactly should I hear it? Any car i've owned previously, I could always hear the pump prime whenever i turned the ignition on.

Thanks in advance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

You state you have an S3 then say you have changed glow plugs? Which Model car do you have ,Petrol or Diesel?

4. Bunty

Bunty New Member

It's a 1.9tdi....it has a S3 badge on the back? I know nothing about Audis...it is actually the gf's car and i'm taking a look at it for her. I assume a S3 is petrol and a previous owner has merely stuck that badge on or something? I thought S3 was just like a sport version of a 1.9 tdi....my bad.

5. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

1.9tdi does come in a sport model, I have one, but no s3 badge and not even a red letter :(

VCDS can activate the pump as an output test iirc, where are you based?
    I hear mine clearly when turning ignition on.

6. Bunty

Bunty New Member

This one has a red S3 badge on the back with silver wing mirrors. I can't hear anything at all, even if i put my ear to the fuel tank and get someone to turn the ignition on....nothing. But it does eventually start so surely the pump has to be working? I think it's losing prime when it sits overnight and then the pump isn't priming it before startup. Maybe a relay? Or would a done relay not mean it wouldn't start at all?

7. Greig300

Greig300 Member

Try putting a new fuel filter on the car as it helped my issue on start up similar to yours.

8. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

If you have anyone near you with VAG-COM that's the first place to start, fuel pump could be a good call but check for DTCs first in case it is something as simple as a duff sensor. oh and lose the S3 badge :yum:

9. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's!
    Supporter

A diesel S3; FLOL the superior members of this forum will love that.

:)

10. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Not able to help with vcds if nobody knows where he is based, id suggest looking at the user map but its very out of date.

11. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

try the coolant temperature sensor
    ive had the same issue on a few of the vag cars and this usually helps cure 90% of them

ive recently bought my wife an a3 tdi and am about to change exactly the same thing when i can find where its at