Imola Yellow Audi S3 - APR - TTE420 - Audi Tuner Featured April '16

If you haven't got footwell lights you will need to buy the kit from RobinA3.

Got these delivered to Oz! Cheapest I came across for full set.
Even threw in free rego plate led globes as I requested before purchase. All working fine.

http://bit.ly/1hr5X08

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395068567493093
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395068583596491
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395068603024289

Keeping an eye for a 2nd hand set of genuine Rotas, one day they will appear.

Arrived today and fitted in about an hour. The induction roar and turbo noise is perfect, just how it should sound from the factory.
Matches the Revo Stage 1 map perfectly. May get some video footage tomorrow if it's sunny.
Just need a TTS engine cover now.

audi_s3_revo_intake.jpg

Reactions: Verse1 and mechanic69
Awesome work Dan & Car is looking perfect!!!!!

Look forward to the video footage as it's on my list of mods top work indeed!

Arrived today and fitted in about an hour. The induction roar and turbo noise is perfect, just how it should sound from the factory.
Matches the Revo Stage 1 map perfectly. May get some video footage tomorrow if it's sunny.
Just need a TTS engine cover now.

Dan-Jnr,

Good looking motor and nice mods. I am seriously thinking of getting the Revo intake. Any chance of a video so I can hear what it sounds like? ;)

On Friday spent the day working over in Liverpool so thought it would be ideal to drop my car off at Pipewerx for their 3" down pipe and decat to be fitted to OEM cat back, only cost £375 all in.
Finished working in Liverpool around 1pm so picked up my car and booted it over to Unit20 in Neston for Revo Stage 2 (335 BHP 310 LB/FT).

OMG what a difference the DP and decat makes. The sound on boost from 3.5k is just ridiculous, sounds like a proper sport car now, and it isn't droning when cruising on the motorway. Pops and burbles nicely too. Very impressed with upgrades and will be enjoying the car over summer until I get more need for speed (Stage 2+) over winter.

Next on my list is inlet valve cleaning, and most likely uprated clutch as I can't see mine lasting much past 60k with Revo stage 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ10
What are the Piperworx exhausts like then? Im on the look out for a performance exhaust but the Milltek is just to expensive imo!
Id be worried about being pulled over with a decat pipe in all honesty... ****** lovely car you have tho!

Not sure on there exhausts but the down pipe and decat were top quality stainless steel. Had one on my S3 8L so trust their skills.
I wouldn't worry about being pulled over unless you on boost all the time, and you can always play the ignorance card, saying it was like that when you bought it, ha.

Ah ye true 😉. Well I've only just got the car too so would fall in well lol 😃

Think you can buy a pipe afterwards anyway if you get pulled cheap enough from them

Installed a Power Flex lower engine mount insert today to reduce engine movement, this has made gear changes more direct.
Whilst I was under the car took some pictures of the Pipewerx 3" downpipe and decat. Not a lot of room to get a good angle.
Videos to come this weekend if the weather is nice.

audi_s3_8p_lower_mount.jpg

audi_s3_8p_decat1.jpg

audi_s3_8p_decat2.jpg

audi_s3_8p_decat3.jpg

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Installed a Power Flex lower engine mount insert today to reduce engine movement, this has made gear changes more direct.
Whilst I was under the car took some pictures of the Pipewerx 3" downpipe and decat. Not a lot of room to get a good angle.
Videos to come this weekend if the weather is nice.
QUOTE]

What is the cabin vibration like with the Powerflex lower engine mount? Also what made you change it?

I'm running a cobra downpipe with sportscat on original catback and agree once warm it sounds good with no drone and loud when you want it.
My only concern is when I start from cold the exhaust is pretty raspy almost like its blown.

There isn't any vibrations, just stiffens up the engine rocking. Gear changes feel more solid too.

No one recommend it, I had the uprated dog bone mount on my S3 8L and though this would be a nice little upgrade, it's just and insert to really easy to fit.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Nice one Dan-Jnr. I'll be ordering one of these dog bone mounts later this week.

Got round to customising the OEM engine cover I purchased off eBay for £20. Keeping my original engine cover as its in mint condition.

audi_s3_8p_engine_cover.jpg

Reactions: s3_trev, Granta, Forbzeeee and 1 other person
Spot the difference between last post and this post.
Time for an engine bay detail this Saturday.

audi_s3_8p_black_covers.jpg

I got them from Awesome GTI as I was passing through Irlam today, £18.91 for both items.

They are available from VW too:
Coolant cap: 3C0121321 confirmed black
Washer cap: 8D0955455 or 1K0955455 confirmed this a blue, although told they are available in black but he didn't know the part number.

The one I bought has a part number of 800 955 455 but the country details have been scratched off.

After doing some research the Audi R8 has a part number of 400 955 277 for the black washer cap.

Last edited:
Awesome work Dan!!!!!

Just the dipstick to paint and it looks complete love the stealth look!!!!!

I got them from Awesome GTI as I was passing through Irlam today, £18.91 for both items.

They are available from VW too:
Coolant cap: 3C0121321 confirmed black
Washer cap: 8D0955455 or 1K0955455 confirmed this a blue, although told they are available in black but he didn't know the part number.

The one I bought has a part number of 800 955 455 but the country details have been scratched off.

After doing some research the Audi R8 has a part number of 400 955 277 for the black washer cap.

You get free delivery? Or paid the £4.50? I like them a lot... Stealth indeed!

Noticed the idle was ever so erratic, visually inspected then removed it and upgraded to the latest R revision.

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old.jpg

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old2.jpg

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old3.jpg
audi_s3_8p_pcv_old4.jpg

The latest revision R is designed differently to the revision F.

audi_s3_8p_pcv_new.jpg

Reactions: s3facelift09
Noticed the idle was ever so erratic, visually inspected then removed it and upgraded to the latest R revision.

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old.jpg

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old2.jpg

audi_s3_8p_pcv_old3.jpg
audi_s3_8p_pcv_old4.jpg

The latest revision R is designed differently to the revision F.

audi_s3_8p_pcv_new.jpg

Did you notice that the car wasn't as loud as before especially at the engine bay? Not only under higher revs but when idle also?

Mine didn't change the sound or volume of the engine running. After the PCV was replaced.

Firstly car clicked 60,000 miles so time for a treat for the S3.
After months of searching finally found some genuine 18inch Audi Rotors wheels for a bargain price of £800 without tyres, they needed a little care to get them mint though.
Two of them had kerb damage on the diamond cut edge so went to WRC Preston to get them re-cut. They did a fantastic job and were ready next day Will let the pictures do the talking.

audi_s3_8p_60k.jpg

audi_s3_8p_rotor_kerbed.jpg

audi_s3_8p_rotor_cut.jpg

audi_s3_8p_rotors.jpg

Reactions: HHS3, The Engineer, Pauljamescaton and 2 others
The Rotors set the car off nicely, especially with the privacy glass.
Does the front pipe mod compliment the rest of the exhaust well? Will you upgrade in the oem exhaust eventually?

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
Never would thought of buying a yellow car but this has changed my mind :)

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
Finally got round to recording some videos of my Pipewerx 3" downpipe with decat and OEM cat back exhaust.
Playback needs to be on loud speakers or head phones as mobile play back doesn't capture the true sound.
I have chose not to fit an after market cat back as there is very little difference in the pipe diameter as show in this picture.
The exhaust is subtle until the valve on the back box opens up at about 3k rpm and all hell breaks loose, nice throaty raspy sound.

audi_vs_milltek.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My car hit 61k miles so time to remove the intake manifold and check the intake valves for carbon build up.
Getting the manifold off requires some patience with hard to reach bolts, nuts, and spring clips.
I should have taken more pictures of the clean up process but I was short on time, I did however get pictures of how much carbon build up there was. I used a Dremel with wire brushes to remove the build with a narrow hoover extension to remove the dust and crud. I did two cylinders at a time rotating the crank to make sure the valves sealed so nothing got down in the chambers. Took about 6 hours altogether.

audi_s3_8p_valve_flaps.jpg

audi_s3_8p_intake_valve1.jpg

audi_s3_8p_intake_valve2.jpg

audi_s3_8p_intake_valve3.jpg

audi_s3_8p_intake_valve4.jpg

Another little addition which I needed as I wasn't happy with my exposed wheels bolts. I ordered a set of genuine wheel bolt covers, which includes a locking wheel bolt cover too. A removal tool is also included so they aren't damaged when removed.

Grey bolt covers: 321 601 173 A
Grey locking bolt cover: 4F0 601 173 A

audi_s3_8p_wheel_bolt_kit.jpg

audi_s3_8p_wheel_bolts.jpg

audi_s3_8p_wheel_bolt_covers.jpg

Over the past few weeks I have noticed my car has been down on power.
Ran some logs and noticed the mass air flow was reading 225 g/s. This was down compared to the readings I had from when it was first mapped to stage 2 (245 g/s). This got me thinking as I had the battery disconnected for some time whilst I was cleaning the intake valves and working on the car the past couple of weekends.
I connected my Revo SPS and pulled the settings from the ECU, they read Boost 1, Timing 0 and Fuel 0.
This explains why the car was down on power. They must have reset when the battery was disconnected for a period of time.
I set the Revo settings back to Boost 9 Timing 5 and Fuel 9.
Immediately after changing these settings the car was pulling 245 g/s again, and I could instantly feel the restored power.

I took a trip down to Unicorn Motorsport in Stockport to get my car health checked so its ready for Stage 2+ over winter.
He did a few runs monitoring all sorts of sensors including fueling.
I was advised the my fueling needed attention, especially if I was to upgrade to stage 2+.
Rick recommend an uprated HPFP, RS4 Fuel Pressure Release Valve, and Cam Follower.
I highly recommend Rick, he knows his stuff, and is willing to explain in detail anything technical I had to ask.

I will upload my power graph tomorrow when I can scan it at work.

audi_s3_8p_unicorn.jpg

Last edited:
Cars coming along nicely Dan... Keep up the good work!

Great build thread, how do you get your name on the dash?

Thanks. More to come over winter, need to get Ibiza out the way first, then I come in to a big redundancy package which the S3 will be getting treated a little.

That's the MP3 track name on the DIS, not my actual name, although my name is Dan.