1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immobiliser woes...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by FactionOne, Jun 2, 2005.

1. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi folks,

As subject; I was returning home from a bit of a drive aimed at enjoying some of the lovely sunshine yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (and there's another story about a smart-ass in a CLK 230K finding out that size (and turbos) aren't necessarily the be-all and end-all when you're trying to pick on a fella with a lil' engine (and a manual box) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)...

...I stopped short of my driveway because I noticed my dad's 100 was on the drive; so I'd have to move it to get mine in the garage. Having done that I jumped back in mine and turned the key...

Immobiliser light blinking; my baby managed just enough of a cough to give the rev-needle a bit of an upward-excursion for a few tenths of a second, but that was about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Since the first time this happened (a particularly cold night by the sea-front in Blackpool); I've been trying to carry my spare keys if I know I'm going to be any distance from home. So I grabbed my spare keys and tried them both; with the same effect...

I did notice a "Key Signal too low" DTC when I did a VAG-COM scan a while ago; which (sort-of) coroborated my thoughts after a bit of spit-and-polish got me motoring again that night in Blackpool; but no amount of the same treatment on my spare keys (both) managed to revive my baby.

So as my keys celebrated their 7th birthday in January, and are looking a bit tired, I'm guessing a decent clean wouldn't hurt; but I'm also quite keen to attempt to clean the ignition-barrel to some extent. I instantly thought of the trusty isopropanol contact-cleaner spray; because my trade requires me to have massive amounts of it lying around...

...Would any of you guys forsee any troubles with doing this? I'm guessing there's nothing in there with enough current to be shorted by a little excess, especially as it's such an unstable compound, or would you d/c the battery just in case?

Any thoughts you guys have, whether born of personal experiences or just hypothesis, would be gratefully received!

Regards,

Rob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

hi rob,

might be completly unrelated, but I remember reading a lot (some time ago though) that people were having problems with there immobilisers because they wern't waiting for long enough before starting the engine.

you are supposed to put the key in the ignition turn to on, then wait for the immobiliser light to go out before starting the engine, I think some people had to get bits replace because of this, might be worth doing a search on here.

other than that good luck with it!

4. HTC

HTC Active Member

This can be caused by a defective reading coil.

Unfortunately, if the reader coil needs replacing, then you probably have to replace the complete ignition lock as it is intergral. (well thats what audi say).

There may be a posibility that the ignition lock can be dismantled to replace just the coil from a crashed car.

5. jayfrts

jayfrts bouncing off the limiter!!!!

We're havng the same problems at the moment, only happens on cold days / nights. :(

Been to Audi with it & they've run tests etc but faut finding came back clean, we then replace the whole Ign barrel immobiliser and it still did it.

Well that was back in the spring of this year, but its started happening again!!!!! Arrg. It only happens when cold, also Audi mentioned to us they thought it might be a knackered ECU but i just cant see how the ECU has much to do with the immobiliser?!?!?!?

Well its becoming a pain in the harris, so much so the missus is stranded out in the middle of nowhere for hours on end.

Same sypmtoms as what have been mentioned above, flashing key light, car starts then dies instantly.

PLEASE HELP AS ITS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone must know :cry:

6. jayfrts

No one fancy helping / replying? :rolleyes:

7. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Its a common fault on the older A3's, mine has it - its the faulty reader. If you dont want to replace it then usually taking the key out, then opening and closing the door solves mine, key icon stops blinking and away u go

8. jayfrts

Replaced the reader already (the part in the ign barrel?)beginning of the year, but soon as the cold front comes in........... Starts all over again.

Can the immobiliser be removed completely form the car? Then fit a cat 1.....

9. edmorales

edmorales Member

try to loosen the steering column adjustment lock then move the column thru its end points including the rake.common problem is that the cable for the reader coil gets pinched or jammed,causing high resistance and a corrupted reader coil signal to the immobiliser control unit.audi repair solution is to insulate tha cable and make sure that it does not get pinched when adjusting the column.
    ed

10. jayfrts

I'll see if i can take the cover off over the weekend, and note if its snagging!

11. jayfrts

Ps the missus just asked why does it only happen over the winter?!?! :-?