I'm struggling to bleed the coolant system - 1.8T BEX

Danb

Simples
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have fitted a new thermo today and I can't seem to get the air out of the systrem.

I know about the metal pipe accross the inlet manifold which has a bleed screw, and I also called the Audi main dealer to pick his brains. He also mentioned the pipe across the inlet and also the loosen the pipes that go into the heater matrix at the bulkhead. He also mentioned how they find it hard themselves.

I need help guys.

Thanks in advance

Undo the little plastic screw and open the expansion tank cap and worm up the engine. Once up to temp open bleed screw and using your hand pump rad hose connected to the metal pipe. Do not take the screw out just undo the screw so the coolant can weep out. The plastc screw's are prone breaking.

Thanks for the advice CMD. Though I had to call the Audi dealer's service dept.

He told me to find the heater matrix pipes that are behind the scuttle panel. You have to take off the clip and pull the pipe off until the little bleed hold is exposed. You have to do what you said CMD said then hey presto........or it would be but my water pump is done for. This is a time consuming job, though my good friend who worked for VW for 25 years tells me that the dealers have a adapter that they screw into the expansion tank. This makes the expansion tank the highest point in the system and therefore gravity will do its thing. He says they just fill up the adapter with water and leave it for 30 mins. Simple with the right tools eh!

Thanks

Also unscrew the expansion tank and raise it up so that the bleed screw is much lower than the tank :icon_thumright:

As said get the car upto temperature and squeeze the pipes.