I'm all lopsided!!!

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a little issue that i could do with your input, a little while ago i noticed my car was not sitting level at the rear, at the time i just put it down to uneven ground ect ect, however my bump stops were reported in the mot so i had them replaced and while it was all off i changed the rear shocks, i used genuine parts but since then it seens to be more apparent that the offside seems to be sitting higher than the nearside, i have measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch with the car on a level workshop floor and also on a chassis lift both with the same result, a 7mm difference, the fronts are exactly the same distance both sides obviously everything has been checked and double checked but can't see anything, the most common response seems to be road spring but to be honest i fail to see one sagging more than the other and i don't want to change them and get the same result,
Any ideas ??
Thanks Matt

p.s. before we go down the road of aftermarket coilivers or alike that is not something i am interested in doing.

Last edited:
have you measured the springs to see if they are the same?One might be cracked

Springs have been inspected and nothing obvious, can't see or feel any cracks, the offside ( lower side ) seems to be the height the car has always been the problem seems more the nearside ( higher), real head scratcher!

Had this same issue just sat lower one morning when i came out like the spring had lost its tension, this pushed me too buy my coilovers = )

have the springs been checked to make sure there identical ?
check the colour code on the springs themselves to ensure there identical
last resort remove both rear springs and compare it maybe that a small piece has broken off the end of the spring and this is what is giving the differance

springs do not suddenly lose tension ,over time they sag and need replacing

Springs are the same and are originals,pink, pink, blue are the colour stripes, i have owned the car for the last 7 years and knew where it had been from new,it has only mainly transported me, i understand springs may loose tension and sag but it't the higher side that's the problem not the side that's lower, i will strip the springs off and have a good look at them , coilovers are not for me.

I have a set of spare springs for a 130sport avant if you would like them:)
they are just sat in the shed and I have no use for them now so they are up for grabs if you want them

I have a set of spare springs for a 130sport avant if you would like them:)
they are just sat in the shed and I have no use for them now so they are up for grabs if you want them

PM sent

Did you get to the bottom of this matt?
Mine avant is suffering the same issue,rear end drivers side 20mm lower than passenger side.........

No not really i have done lots of experiments with an ex Audi tech from Watford, string round the tyre circumfrence exc to see if tyres are uneven, had another geometry check, springs measured, wish bone bolts and anything else that can be adjusted, still head scratching as everything checks out ok, 20mm seems a massive difference, mine is only 7mm and to be honest loads of people i try and show can't even see it but i do so still bugging me, however i test drove a B8 black edition today as was very impressed if only it had a better spec, so may be time to change the old B6.

Ahh ok,to be honest mine bugs me too.Im fitting my new bbs alloys tomorrow soi'll have a measure when there on,,at least that will eliminate the alloys and tyres.

Well ive just fitted my new wheels and its a bit better!
im now only 10mm lower so my old alloys must have needed air................but whilst fitting my new wheels i noticed a coil spring was broke:sadlike:,looks like its the next job to do.

That's the danger when your doing upgrades Steve finding more jobs to do !! any pictures of the car with em on yet pal ?

Steveb5biker..:blackrs4: