1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition switch fault! RNSE unit switching on/off randomly...

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by rcrorie, Sep 11, 2013.

1. rcrorie

rcrorie New Member

Hi Everyone,

So here is the symptoms of the problem I have:

1) The head unit (RNSE) flickers on/off randomly and irregularly.
    2) When the doors have been automatically locked when setting off over 10mph, they unlock the first time the RNSE unit flickers off.
    3) The bluetooth handsfree thats built in does NOT switch off.
    4) If I fiddle with the key that in the ignition, it will either make it flicker worse - or sometimes I am able to position it in a certain way so that the flickering stops.

I believe this is a fault with the ignition switch (Audi advised this could be the cause). They have said it will be £40 for a new one and a further £140 to fit it.

How easy is it to replace this myself? I am pretty good with electronics and fairly good with mechanics. But I assume this wouldn't be a big job to do?

If anyone can advise then it would be much appreciated. I am tearing my hair out at this as sick of listening to my favourite songs in 2 second intervals... :$

Cheers!

Rob
  2. Yolo_8p3

Yolo_8p3 Member

first thing you need to do is get vcds on it and take it from there
  3. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

I had the same issue with my RNSE. Audi always fobbed me off as I had it retrofit and they were never able to witness it as the unit would always behave when it was with them. Long story short it got so bad I pulled up in the dealers and called them wile the car was running so they could come out and witness. Tech knew the issue straight away and said there was a TPS. Something to do with the "S" switch / connection... They changed out the part at no cost.
  4. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

Sorry, should have said TPI and not TPS. Just found the notes on the job sheet and the wording is as follows:

"Replaced ignition switch to rectify reported issue of radio cutting out whilst driving"

There is no TPI reference number stated in the notes
  5. rcrorie

rcrorie New Member

Thanks DJAlix, interesting they did it at no cost, did you purchase the Audi from them? Mine was bought second hand so I am guessing that is why they want to charge a small fortune...

And thanks Yolo_8p3 - I dont have access to one so for now I am going to just try fitting the ignition switch myself.. money is tight at the moment!! haha
  6. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

Yup, I did purchase my car from the dealer / garage who did the work but I believe a TPI is a known issues / replace at our expense type thing, manufacturing fault type deal. Stands for T
    echnical Product Information.
    I could be wrong but I have had a few non charge works carried out in this way, example they replaced my Transmission clutch pack (S-Tronic / DSG) in order to sort out a judder problem between 1st and 2nd gears and a new roof all completed under TPI also.

Might be an idea to have your garage check for any TPI's and see if they will sort it for you. My dealer always plays the "if you don't ask you don't get" game with every issue I have. Once I have been back to them a few times they end up telling me "oh yer, there is a TPI for that issue" lol

Oh, just remembered... When I was first having the RNSE issue I noticed someone here had the same. He ended up having his work done at no cost. Will dig up the post.
  7. DJAlix

DJAlix Member