Ignition key - excessive battery drain

Marklar

Reaction score
One of my keys has normal battery life but the spare discharges a battery completely flat in less than a week even if it isn't used. This means I have to keep a supply of new batteries handy 'just in case'.

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so, is there a simple fix?

I'd appreciate advice.

Are you sure they are actually dead? My S3 spare key used to do this but once I'd unlocked the car manually and started the car with it it worked fine.

Are you sure they are actually dead? My S3 spare key used to do this but once I'd unlocked the car manually and started the car with it it worked fine.

Yes. I have a battery condition tester that shows the batteries to be completely discharged after a few days.

If I fit a new battery and synchronise the key to the car again, it works fine - but not for long. It's very frustrating.

Yes. I have a battery condition tester that shows the batteries to be completely discharged after a few days.

If I fit a new battery and synchronise the key to the car again, it works fine - but not for long. It's very frustrating.

Sounds like a faulty remote - it hasn't got wet at any stage (like being dropped in the sink or accidentally washed while in a trouser pocket)?

Sounds like a faulty remote - it hasn't got wet at any stage (like being dropped in the sink or accidentally washed while in a trouser pocket)?

No, Dave. It was like that whan I bought the car second hand but I didn't notice the fault until a few months later when I tried to use the spare and it was completely dead. I fitted a new battery, resychronised the key and when I tried to use it again a week later, the battery was dead. It happens every time I replace the battery.

No, Dave. It was like that whan I bought the car second hand but I didn't notice the fault until a few months later when I tried to use the spare and it was completely dead. I fitted a new battery, resychronised the key and when I tried to use it again a week later, the battery was dead. It happens every time I replace the battery.
I would say it's definitely a faulty remote, don't bother wasting any more batteries on it - bin it and get another one.