1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition Barrel Problems

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by m_o_w_g_l_i, Oct 2, 2005.

1. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

[Oct 2, 2005]
    I'm having problems on mine with the ignition barrel. Its really stiff in a morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and is a pig to start the car. Anyone got any quick fixes or tips for replacement??

Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. curtis11

curtis11 Member

[Oct 2, 2005]
    try some wd40 , its the ticket
  4. mwarrey

mwarrey Member

[Oct 2, 2005]
    I doubt WD40 will fix it, there is a known problem with the ignition barrel. I had a problem with mine and it ended up burning out the starter motor as well. The key actually turns a plastic barrel which has a return spring in it, this can break which prevents the key springing itself back from the full ignition setting, i.e. when the starter is engaged.

They are not too bad to fit (cost about £15 from memory). Lots of good how to articles on Audiworld.com tech section.
  5. curtis11

curtis11 Member

[Oct 2, 2005]
    well m8 , i think it will fix it if its just stiff and not broken
  6. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

[Oct 3, 2005]
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'll have a go at both starting with the cheapest and easiest and then maybe going for a new barrel.
  7. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

[Oct 3, 2005]
    Right, I've had a go with WD40 and its still the same. The problem seems to be overcoming the steering lock, after that its fine.
  8. mwarrey

mwarrey Member

[Oct 4, 2005]
    As I said wd40 wont fix this unless it has the ability to repair plastic. Had the same problem with mine, the ignition switch starts to crack and will pretty soon stop working at all (hence why you are already having problems starting). My advice is to check this out before you get stranded somewhere and\or burn out your starter motor as well (which is a pig of a job to replace and will cost you £100 inparts alone). Good article on audiworld Ignition switch replacement