1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you havent changed your fuel filter.....

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by T0m, Dec 3, 2013.

1. T0m

T0m Member

[Dec 3, 2013]
    ......I would reccomend doing so!

I have had my car since it was just under 3 years old its a 54 plate 1.8 (163) on 108k now and I replaced my fuel filter two weeks ago and stuff what Audi say they last the life of the car, since I have done it I have noticed my car is now more responsive and im getting better MPG out of it!

For the sake of 1/2 hour and you dont even have to jack the car up, I managed to change mine while the car was on the floor just be ready with the bungs from the new filter to put on the old to minimise the fuel going everywhere and enjoy!
    DieselJake likes this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. GeoffDunk

GeoffDunk Active Member

[Dec 3, 2013]
    Which filter did you change and who told you they last the life of the car?
    I have mine changed every big service interval.
  4. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

[Dec 3, 2013]
    Try changing the fuel pump that's 100k miles old, f**k me you WILL feel a difference and in your wallet as well
  5. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

[Dec 3, 2013]
    Fuel pump? Im on 140k no fuel pump needed...so far.

Could you explain more??
  6. T0m

T0m Member

[Dec 3, 2013]
    Geoff I changed my fuel filter as per the thread title and Audi say they are not a serviceable item ie they don't need to be changed as Audi say they are designed to last the life of the vehicle!

Deano Ian just said he replaced his fuel pump it's his car maybe he wanted to or it was faulty! I wouldn't change mine unless I really had to!
  7. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

[Dec 3, 2013]
    Well we dont know what his issues were?
    Feel what differences,and in what ways?

Standard or performace fuel pump?
  8. vwgtiking

vwgtiking Member

[Dec 4, 2013]
    Any how toos or guides to changing the fuel filter?
  9. T0m

T0m Member

[Dec 5, 2013]
    Mate I dont mind helping anyone out but google is a fountain of knowledge do a search for 'how to change the fuel filter on Audi A4' and you get shed loads of videos links and stuff just click away and you will find out all the info you need thats all I ever do and 9 times out of 10 you find a 'How to' that way.
  10. s3tby

s3tby Member

[Dec 7, 2013]
    This thread inspired me to finally get round to fitting the fuel filter I've had kicking around for ages.

A reminder to check the inlet (back of filter) lines for abrasion. It's fairly common for them to chaff up against a weld on the wall of the rear chassis, about 2-3 inches before their plug into the fuel filter.

I had a hose split this way (at about 65k), and it was a fuel tank out job to replace it. I today noticed further abrasion on the 'new' hose so I taped some guard material to the hose itself to stop it progressing.

Look out for a slight flattening of the round hose as I say, 2-3 inches up. It means you could be 10-20-30k away from a split line!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013