1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice warning symbol?

audi5e May 24, 2006

1. audi5e

audi5e Member

Can anyone tell me why the ice warning symbol only operates between +5C and -5C?

Surely ice can and does form below -5C?

2. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

Didn't know it did Gordon.... News to me.... Is that on all models ?

3. audi5e

audi5e Member

I don't know, my 100 shows the ice symbol on the right between 5 and 0 then on the left between -1 and -5 then dissapears below -5... I was wondering why?

4. mickey_a6

mickey_a6 Member

Funny thing about mine is that when temp reads zero degrees it shows +0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. audi5e

audi5e Member

Mine will read +0 if the actual temperature is still on the positive side of 0 but not yet close to 0.5 and -0 if the temperature is on the negative side of 0 but not closer to -0.5...

So does anyone know why the ice warning switches off below -5? Is it because of black ice and when it forms? ie can black ice form below -5?

6. My S3 does the same.

I thought it was not on below -5 as you should know its f***ing cold...

7. doeboy

doeboy Member

In my manual it's not an "ice" symbol it's referred to as just temperature warning. Cold tyres are not happy tyres after all.

8. audi5e

audi5e Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My S3 does the same.

I thought it was not on below -5 as you should know its f***ing cold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I was wondering if they switched it off for South African models because German's can't imagine it getting that cold here.... :)

9. Adam C

Adam C Mine a manual

my 2000 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro did this, as did my 2000 S4, I currently have a 2001 Allroad and it hasn't been that cold yet.

I think the problem is probably software related where somebody's used a "smaller than" function rather that a "less than" function. The use of signing numbers in software may require a different data type, so maybe this was a limitation of the software toolds available at the time.

Adam

10. A6QuattroDriver

A6QuattroDriver Member

Just to confirm all of my Audis with DIS have been the same including my latest 2004 A4.

11. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I think there is some sense in this comment about how the warning is intended. And that is to warn you of the risk of ice when between 0 and 5 and the -5 is just the tolerance/software programming. At -5 or below the road/weather conditions should make you aware of the risk.

12. ZeroK66

ZeroK66 Member

Dont think I have seen -5... not sure, so couldnt say. That is really odd?

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan New Member

I had the Temperature drop to -8 C in Glen Esk last Tuesday. The snow flake symbol on my 2004 A4 disapeared at -6 C.

I did wonder why the snow flake symbol disapeared.

14. benw123

benw123 Moderator

The reason that DIS shows the ice symbol below 5C is because water can remain frozen at 4C. In fact, getting all scientific for a second, around 4C is the temperature at which water can exist in three states, as vapour or gas, a liquid and a solid.

I think Audi are just being cautious by setting the display at 5C, and because it's a round figure. 4C is probably too precise.