1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I8AGTI's S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by I8AGTI, Oct 3, 2012.

1. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Time to share my build thread.

Bought a 2008 S3 last year. Got it with a 76 mm Dp and full exhaust. No catalytic problems down this side of the Equator.
    Forge DV came with the buy.

[​IMG]

I've since then added some extra bits. BSH delete, Autotech HPFP, ITG intake, RS4 Fuel Regulator Valve.

[​IMG]

Bought a extra engine cover thats has been modified.

[​IMG]

Changed the Pulley on the cranck.

[​IMG]

Changed the bushes, Lowered the suspension with Joms Coilies and added Haldex Controler.

[​IMG]

Fitted Twin Intercooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the pipe between the Cooler and Throttle body for the Watermeth Nozzle. Mounted the AEM progressive kit in the boot in the spare battery box.

On the interior, added the Audi Blutooth with SDS to the RNS-E radio. Did LED lights on the roof lights.

Got the Liquid gauge fitted in the Right vent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is what it looks like now.

[​IMG]
    S3Alex and MartayMcFly like this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Looks good, where did you get that heat shield from on on the ITG?
  4. nil538

nil538 Member

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Very nice mate nice mods like the look of the heat shield
  5. S.

S. Well-Known Member

[Oct 3, 2012]
    that's a good s3. how much power is putting? any benefits from itg box?
  6. MTRL

MTRL Split Grill!

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Very nice
  7. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Wayhay!! another Ibis White S3.............seems to be a very popular colour nowadays. Nice car buddy
  8. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 3, 2012]
    Thx guys. Did a DIY on the box. It must work, but I don't have any data figures to prove it. Car flows pretty well with this setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to setup the watermeth properly, at the moment no power gains from it yet.

I have 2 maps done by a local company called Cpi. Did a dyno this weekend with about 12 ltrs of avgas on a 1/4 tank fuel.
    The dyno shop gives the results in Flywheel figures. This run is on my daily map. The Race map as they call it gives me another 15 - 20 kw with some Octane boosters in the tank.
    I also have a Wotbox fitted. Forgot about that. Still 2 dumb to use the flatfoot shifting. :)

[​IMG]
  9. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    I'd also like to know this? Can't seem to fit mine, doesn' seem to be enough room in the engine bay.
  10. Acheron

Acheron Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    'bout time you found your way here :thumbsup:

Keen on seeing some detail about the WMI system in the spare battery box. Was thinking of doing the same myself.

I believe the heatshield is custom job if I remember correctly.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  11. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    I'll take some pics of both and do a write up.
    The material was Corryx that I purchased from our local hardware shop.
  12. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Oct 4, 2012]
    Well done and good to see some parts of the world that haven't got the emissions police after them.

Fair amount of debate about whether to specifically tune for WMI or use it for cooling.
    Mine isn't tuned specifically for it but I'm sure we get serious benefits from the charge cooling effect alone.

Pushing the timing is always possible but may not be necessary.
  13. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    I've had it on a dyno before and I end up loosing about 2 kw with it on. That's with a 60/40 mix.
    Would like to run 100 % meth and see what it does.
  14. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Oct 4, 2012]
    Not a good idea......you're basically using methanol then as fuel,and need a lot of precautions.
    There's a very good review here..... Injection Mixtures 101 - evolutionm.net
  15. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    So this is my AEM kit in the boot. I secured the tank with Strong Double sided tape. I left the controler in the boot as you set it up once and then forget about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Check the Haldex controller top left.

[​IMG]

I could have done a neater job on the cutout of the foam, but not to worried about it.

The switch is mounted close to the Handbrake. Led light circuit is wired to the light in the switch. So it flashes when empty etc..

[​IMG]
  16. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    Another cheapo mod was a light shining down on the the gear lever. Bought a red LED, Holder and a 470 ohm resistor and wired it in on the overhead on off light switch. Now I can find my goodies at night as this area was pretty dark and unlit.

[​IMG]

What u see when lights are on.
    [​IMG]

Lights off
    [​IMG]

Led light on.
    [​IMG]
  17. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    It varries in intensity as u turn the dimmer higher and lower.

Forgot about the shortshifter. This was also done.

[​IMG]
  18. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    Now for the airbox.

This is with it spread open. I hope the ruler will help with dimensions. I used a double sided tape called " no more nails " to put the 2 ends together. After that a bit of white Silicone sealer just to help with keeping it together. This unit has been in the car for +- 8 mnths now. I could make it out of Alclad or Ally, but this works pretty well and gets rid of heat quicker. The rubber on the top is the same stuff they use just fwd of your wiper blades to seal the bonnet when closed. I used 1 screw to support the cover. Screw goes onto the ram air inlet on the left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  19. Acheron

Acheron Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    Very cool install of the WMI kit. Does the actual water/meth tube run inside the car and if so where have you routed it? Are there any issues with the pump and it's ability to maintain pressure from a distance like that?
  20. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    The plumbing is done on the left side of the car and comes out by the battery side.

What I do when we play I just get the car into boost b4 I stage and that gets the system armed and primed. No hasstles with pressure at all. The kit come with enough piping to go from back to the front. I have some of that Bubble wrap under the spare wheel so the tyre doesn't rest fully on my wiring and the pipe.
    Sofar no problems.

Would have loved to get a switch the same as the Traction control switch to use as a Watermeth switch. The TC switch is a momentarilly on switch, so it doesn't work. Still need to go past a Electronic shop and change the little switch to a latching switch.

So if any one can maybe give us the part number of a switch we could use, it would be great.
  21. K2000

K2000 Member

[Oct 4, 2012]
    I've being looking at these switches for something else although i have never used them before. I think some people on here have purchased the illumated speaker grills though. CarStyle4you Love the heatshield for the itg kit, looks like i know what i'm making this weekend.
  22. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Oct 5, 2012]
    thx K2000, and great find on the switches. I will contact them.
  23. K2000

K2000 Member

[Oct 5, 2012]
    No problem. Keep the thread updated if you do decide to order one. It will be interesting to see your thoughts on the quality/delivery times etc.
  24. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Oct 5, 2012]
    One other thing re methanol......your car's throttle butterfly is made of ABS......methanol actively degrades this,and can lead to failure of the butterfly.
    Running pure methanol will certainly increase this risk,as well as reducing the cooling effects of water/meth mixtures,and don't forget the fire risk with the pump,tank and controller all in one enclosed space,if you use pure methanol,as warned in that earlier article I posted for you.
  25. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

[Oct 5, 2012]
    Hate this on my S3 the armrest always rubs against the handbrake spotted too late and same thing happend. Do you guys know if this can be easily replaced? Sorry for OT:p
    Untitled-1.jpg
  26. I8AGTI

I8AGTI Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Here is a vid I took of how the AEM Watermeth kit works in a small run in 4th gear.
    Ambient temps where 25.5 deg C outside.
    Watch the video in med size or large to read the digits on the Liquid guage.
    Audi S3 8P with AEM watermeth.mp4 - YouTube