1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want exhaust pipes I can eat my dinner off

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Blue_Thunder, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

[Apr 24, 2008]
    The winter hasn't been at all kind to my Milltek system and it's in a terrible state with rust spots and generally looking old. Melting the rear bumper to the pipes at the ASN Rolling Road day didn't help either!
    :wtf:

What techniques can I use to bring these up to scratch? Is it likely i'll be able to make them look like new again?

TIA
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 25, 2008]
    Personally I use AutoSol and find it to cut through the soot and **** very well it also does a good job of polishing it up mirrorlike. To be hardcore I recall in some of WX51 post's that a Dremmel is used on them.
  4. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Apr 25, 2008]
    A Dremel might indeed be needed - Milltek pipes can be a real pig to bring up. Can you post a few decent piccies of the problem and we can take it from there with further advice?
  5. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Apr 27, 2008]
    Clark, what bit do you use with the dremel?
  6. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[May 9, 2008]
    Various - we use a selection of wire brushes, sanding discs and felt polishing wheels. Get yourself to B&Q and take a look; they often do kits specifically for metal polishing with a selection of bits included. As always, start gently with felt pads, then move onto brushes and discs if needs be. :)
  7. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[May 11, 2008]
    cheers Rich..... made another visit to Halfords today but really holding back till you posted..... didnt wanna spend unessesary money with them robbings dawgs:whistle2: