I think I've screwed up

JLA

Reaction score
I bought some new wheels for my Tdi under the impression they would be a straight swap, but have now found that I need pcd adaptors to convert to 5x112. The guy I bought them off had an S2 estate and they looked sweet on it and just filled the arches nicely.
I rang Venom and asked thier advice on what thickness adaptors I require and the guy I spoke to doesn't think I'll be able to fit the wheels because there is too much offset.
The new front and rear wheels have an ET of 35, and the Venom bloke recons I'll need 25mm adaptors which will push the rear wheels out a fair way past the arch.
The rears measure 10" outside of the rim to outside of the rim (I've been told this is 9" width) and the front measures 9" outside to outside (8" width). Is this going to be a problem or can I get away with fitting them?

Help please becuase this is going to be a costly **** up else! (Or does anyone with an S3 want to buy them off me)
Is there any other way of changing the pcd of my hubs without using these adaptors?

hahaha, nice one richy!

You can buy 15mm pcd adaptors, 15mm is the thinner you can go I believe. I'm sure I saw some for sale on ED38 last week.

You could be OK, good luck!

Sorry if I'm being retarded, but I don't understand the wheel offset stuff. If my wheels are ET35 (I know this because its stamped on them) how do I know the offset, or is it 35mm?

35mm is the offset rich.

The offset is defined as the distance from the hub mounting face to the centre of the rim

your ET35 rims with 25mm pcd adaptors will be ET10

Have a look and see what you think, but I recon I can pull it off...

With no spacer the wheel rim is around 3mm past the edge of the wheel arch, 20mm should work ok altho 15 would be better. Does anyone know where I can get 15mm adaptors from? The pics with the spirit level shows how far out the edge of the rim will be after 20mm adaptors.

P1011336.jpg

P1011340.jpg

P1011343.jpg

P1011339.jpg

P1011349.jpg

P1011344.jpg

lol, looks like you have 4 flat tyres:haha:

Sorry fella, dont mean to be a prude but them tyres look seriously stretched...... not sure if the wheels look right at all.....bit vdub'y i think, cant quite see it working....

any takers?:shrug:

Its going to look poo. You need a seriously low euro style car to pull of stretched tyres and a very low offset with wheels outside the arches. You'll probably get pulled by the police too.

I have a slight stretch on my tryes (within manufacturer spec for my rim width). Wish I'd gone for wider tyres now.

Surely slammed with a set of coilovers that'd look the nuts?

Fair play to you for not buying some RS4 reps like every other sheep on there though lol.

If you dont want them sell them to me :D

J

Hey there mate, not sure if I can help, I just wanted to ask 2 questions:

1) What size are those wheels? 17"

2) Have you thought of lowering the car? The wheels won't look as bad then.

P.S. Cute you got your sister (I'm assuming) to help you out :thumbsup:

Guys, Rich has a set of coil-overs waiting to go on, so it's obviously going to be dropped.

Looks pretty good as it is there rich, try and find some 15mm spacers, 20mm will look crazy.

How are they staying on like that in the pic? Surely it's not just lowered down holding in place on the spigot rings?

Yeah I'm waiting on my coilovers to turn up, then it will be slammed, I'm not dum enough to leave it with standard heigh suspension on haha!
I held them on with one bolt just so I could get them sat tight against the hub. I need some 15mm adaptors, altho I could machine 20mm's down at work I guess. I'm going to order a set up tomorrow, **** it!
Make or break really, It'll either look good or **** I suppose, but lowered right down it should look ok. I was thinking I could roll the arches out a bit too if needed.

Oh and Defratos, its my daughter...

should look better with the coilovers mate.....piccys when complete pleeeease:thumbsup:

Dam it, even my missus is saying cut my losses and sell them, what does she know grrr!

Mate, try it, its your car at the end of the day, slammed on coilys, it will look very euro, and as you know theres a lot of Golfs like that, but not many Audis, so give it a try, coz some of the Golfs look pretty mint like that and you never know.....just makie sure you put plenty of pics up when its done.

Seems like every other s3 on this forum has old RS4 alloys, some exceptions, but once the wheels are on, its decked and possibly photoshop the center to match the colour of the car? see how it looks.. other than that i think the wheels are rude. there different to what every1 else does. so go for it. good choice.

IMO adapters are a poor solution. If you want to show a car or potle around in it like a big old girl, then fine, (maybe) but ask yourself, do you want your wheels held on by bolts screwing into high tensile steel hub flange od the original car, that are pretty well proven to be able to do well over 250k miles without the slightest bit of attention, or do you want then held on by bolts screwing into a maximum 20mm of alluminum......?
The extra loading you put on the adaptor with those silly wide wheels, (sorry, but it will totally screw your handling, no matter what else you do to the car suspension wise) will mean you will never be sure just how safe it will all be and exacerbate a potentially dangerous situation.
Dont take risks with wheels. If one falls off it could kill you or someone else. You should also be aware that having wheels protruding form the arch like that is illegal and dangerous for other road users. You will find yourself getting pulled left rigth and centre and if you hae an accident, you may find you have no insurance even if you tell them of your "carlos fandango" additions.
Your missus is right, sell them on, to someone with a 5x112 car, (passats, new golfs, tourans, a4s etc etc and go get some new wheels that actually fit your car.

I hear you Simch, but you can see my situation, One thing I've noticed with a lot of A/S3 owners is their lack of knowledge, not having a dig at anyone, but Audi owners don't work on their cars, prefering to get a garage to do it for them. My point being, I imagine there is a way of changing the hubs with some off a different model so I have the 5x112 pattern I need, but no one on here has actually done it because they are just not that way inclined to dig in and get their hands dirty. My point proved by the amount of 'I washed my car today' threads. No comment! :shutup2:
I've had more than my fair share of Golfs, and there is always a way around this sort of stuff, and I would have thought the same will apply with Audi's.

Like I said, this is just my personal opinion and I don't want to offend anyone or **** anyone off, so please don't flame me for it.

Anyway, I photoshopped it a bit. The wheels are for sale, but if they don't sell then I will fit them and see how it goes.

Also, after reading other threads on other forums, is it possible to adjust the rear camber on A3's? I've read that you can get camber plates that you can sandwich between the back plate and the hub.

P1011335a.jpg

You can't get 15mm adaptors off the shelf, they'll need to be specially made which we can do for you. You can get 20mm H&R TUV approved ones off the shelf but they'll most likely be too big. Give us a shout if you want a price for the 15mm made up.

Damian @ DPM

I take it back. I think those wheels look good now, but it may not be cost effective to fit without adapters.

You could get yourself down to a breakers yard or a freindly parts guy. If you can fit the front and rear hubs and discs from an A4 to the A3 bearings then you might be able to swap the PCD without spacers. This a big maybe as the suspension is very different between the two cars. Drive shaft lengths/splines etc, which may cause issue. You can't get your hubs re-drilled either as there will not be enough metal left around the holes to be safe. See the pic below. You wounld only have 2.5mm left from the hole to the edge of the disc.

rotors_redrill.jpg

I had MK3 5x100 hubs on an old mk2 golf once. I know of a guy at the US H2O show who had a set of A4 wheels on his MK4 golf. apparently these were OEM parts? Thought I can seem to find the thread anywhere.

You could get a custom hub made, but that would really cost. Your decision.

JLA I saw these last night and thought they were yours....good luck on the sale...

What wheels you after next then??

Not sure, will have a look see, but want something around the same sizes and try to do a look thats different from the norm.

dude! I reckon you should go for it they will look sweet!
dropped just right it will sit really nice and you'll have a head tuner!
as for your earlier posts the Audi driver bracket unfortunately incorporates a lot of ''you can't do that its an Audi!'' I said screw that when I fitted my monos. dare to be different i say!
I hope those wheels don't sell and you fit them!

I like the wheels!
Its always nice to be a bit different.
Try and get them to fit.
I had enought of my rs4's everyone has them.

I have a set of 18 inch 8x8.5 BBS RWII's that I may be selling. A similar look, proper pcd. Proper splits.

Need a refurb but may have them done as the split rim guru is 40 miles from me.

Mate, the only thing i will say is that to look really good it will be really low. but... it will look really good ;)

My new wheels that im currently refurbing are 9.5" rears and with adaptors have a final offset of 23. thats with 25mm adaptors but may chage to 20 or 15mm to tuck them in nicely and will then be similar to yours.

DO IT!!!

Heres what they look like with an ET23 and remember these are 1/2" wider than yours.
camerapics076.jpg

And just so every knows before i get a slating, i am putting bigger tyres on, these are what they came with.

**** what everyone else says but josh slam it with the stretch!
oh you selling your merc rim then as i do like them plus been offered a nice wad for my monos!

merc rims went at the end of last year mate, been rolling on black TT 6 spokes over the winter.

Was sticking with them but i couldnt resist some summer bling:eyebrows:

Ye they are sweeeeet! but the fact the car is amazing helps a lot!

slammed on stretched tyres is an acquired taste. Some like it some not.
What is not in dispute though is it will totally ruin your handling, ride and driving dynamic.

If you want to pootel about and cruise looking all cool and low on strecthed tyres, it see, a shame to do it in a nice tidy a3. Maybe think of a mk2!

Agreed the handling will be affected but will still be pretty good i think, for me anyway.

and yes, in the summer i do love to pootel about and cruise loking all cool:p

Idont think its a shame to do it to an A3 because i think the A3 is a perfect car for euro!

I understand its not everyones taste, thats why i dont expect many good comments on this forum.

Main thing is i love it:)!!!