I think i got Air Con problems

vp1977uk

Reaction score
Its nearly 30 degrees today and put on my air con. Set it to 17 degrees, drove around and just warm air coming out. It was working beautifully the other day i drove it.

I pressed the 'Auto' button on the dual climate control which the light came on but the 'econ' light stayed on aswell. When i press the 'econ' button the light doesn't stay off.

Am i doing something wrong ? am not very familiar with the car.

With ECON on the aircon compressor is turned off. You may have a small leak which has resulted air con system to become depressurised, hence the aircon wont work. You may need to find the souce of the problem before regassing. Do you have VCDS?

With ECON on the aircon compressor is turned off. You may have a small leak which has resulted air con system to become depressurised, hence the aircon wont work. You may need to find the souce of the problem before regassing. Do you have VCDS?

Haven't got VCDS. am getting a bluetooth adaptor, would the torque app tell me fault codes for it ?

Haven't got VCDS. am getting a bluetooth adaptor, would the torque app tell me fault codes for it ?
Yeah it should do. Just google the fault and see if someone else has come across the fault before.

from my "basic" understanding of Air Con issues, the compressor (which is actually responsible for creating the "cooling" effect) is run from a belt that is driven from the engine (is the belt still attached? my one on my old 2.5TDi came off - a simply pulley and belt replacement job, and back came the cool air)

so the belt is driven all the time but the actual compressor is on a clutch mechanism - the Econ light essentially tells the clutch to engage and hence run the compressor (off engage, on dis-engage)

if you know the location of the compressor you should be able to see/hear this happening - as you cycle the switch

however, the clutch will only engage if it detects pressure in the system - so it follows that there will be a pressure switch on the Air Con radiator that lets the compressor know if there is sufficient pressure in the system ("sufficient" can mean enough pressure to run the compressor, but not enough to get really cold air)

Ergo - No pressure, OR faulty pressure switch NO Air Con

HTH

Took the car to check air con. Found no gas in the system so topped up cleaned but in oil, dye etc. No leaks and functioning now. Will see how it goes.

Took the car to check air con. Found no gas in the system so topped up cleaned but in oil, dye etc. No leaks and functioning now. Will see how it goes.
Nice. If there is a small leak the dye should let you know where the problem is.