1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"i said Daytona, not Dakota!"

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by MouseGB, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MouseGB

MouseGB Member

Last Monday was going quite well really until my colleague asked to borrow my paperwork to copy for his new company car. The Friday before I had got the email saying my car is coming on the 29th, fantastic. Looking at the form I re-read the email "It's the wrong colour Grommit!"

I spoke to the lease company, not their fault so it's the management company.... A mad dash to the dealer to check out Dakota Grey, not too bad but not what I ordered.....

The more I looked the more I liked it, everyone seems to like it too so on Tuesday the car is still coming but I now have the SD satnav FOC and £500 in my pocket to say sorry

You know, I actually think I prefer the colour - don't tell anyone ;o)

2. paullowther

paullowther Member

Isn't Dakota an 'exclusive colour'?

3. RobbieWebs

RobbieWebs Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

Isn't Dakota a browner grey?
    The pics iv seen of Dakota I like it, deffo looks different in different light :)

4. MouseGB

MouseGB Member

Yes Dakota is that odd brown/grey colour, but it's a colour you can't describe to anyone you have to see it. I'm counting the days.

RobbieWebs likes this.
  5. RobbieWebs

VCDS Map User

Be nice to see the pics of it on the new shape :)

6. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Oh dear ... bad luck... I think probably most Dakota Grey cars were ordered in error.. Why would you want that rather than DAYTONA which is a nice colour... Personally I could not live with Dakota.. unless I was colour blind or liked British Racing Brown colours..

7. Belfin

Belfin Active Member

Nearly happened to me when I was at the dealers ordering my car. We were sat at his desk as we went though my chosen options which I'd printed off the 'car builder' thing on the Audi website. When he got to the bit about colour he read out from my printed sheet 'Daytona', but I corrected him by saying 'No, Dakota'.

He asked me again a couple of times if I was sure about my choice to which I kept saying "Yes, Dakota". He finally pointed to a car in the showroom and another outside, explaining "That one is Daytona, that one is Dakota, are you sure?"

Yep, I'd got them mixed up too - thank G*d he was persistant! Like PilotAudi says above, a lot of Dakota coloured Audi's must have been ordered in error.

Imagine the unveiling on collection day.......!

Cheers, Paul.

Jeff777LUFC likes this.
  8. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

Plenty if you Google. I don't think it's too bad and certainly better than Beluga. But then some would say my colour taste is appalling...

9. Fragup

Fragup Member

Personally, love Daytona, but dislike Dakota, but either way is a bit stupid by Audi to call two normal grey colours such similar names (Daytona is S line only, but very popular)
    There must have been thousands of names to choose from for a grey paint :think:, it is asking for trouble and so easy to avoid !

10. StefRobinson

StefRobinson Active Member

I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey. It would have made sense to have very different names to avoid any confusion such as this.

A few years ago, I'm sure there used to be Dolphin Grey, which was very similar to Dakota Grey. I considered going for it for my old 8P.

11. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

Who knows what goes on in the fantasy world of marketing executives? I can't work out why the name Dakota is used at all. What is its significance? Do they mean a couple of minor US states, or an old airplane?
    Maybe Audi are trying to create their own version of "Fifty Shades of Grey"...

12. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Dolpin Grey is an old DULL 8P Audi colour... Dakota is a Brown tinted yuk colour and although Daytona... Dakota and Dolphin all begin with a D that is where the similarity ends. Daytona is great .... Dolphin is DULL ... Dakota is POOH (coloured) Grey .

13. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

Lava Grey was pretty nice but think it got discontinued as it did not start with a D

PilotAudi likes this.
  14. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Same as Mercury Grey then! Loved Lava Grey.. looked great on the 8P

15. Blurk

Blurk New Member

I almost changed my order when I saw this one in Austria. It's way better looking then most people think, especially with black window trims. Pictures don't do the colour justice!

IMG_3465.jpg IMG_3467.jpg

16. MouseGB

MouseGB Member

Well it arrived today and the colour is really nice in an odd way. As Blurk says so much better in real life, importantly though I'm happy with it and most people have said they like it.

Jeff777LUFC and RobbieWebs like this.
  17. Belfin

Belfin Active Member

Congrats MouseGB! You know the 'rules' - we need pics!

cheers, Paul.

18. RobbieWebs

VCDS Map User

Make sure and take pics with a decent camera.
    Phone pics really don't do any cars justice :)