1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I ran out of talent!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S3 Big Andy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Mar 12, 2009]
    Andy... big pat on the back for being honest and having the cohunas to say yep my fault etc etc. Hope the rebuild isn't too expensive and that it drives ok after being fixed.
  2. Timbo_S3

Timbo_S3 Member

[Mar 12, 2009]
    Andy, you're a lucky guy, all things considered. As warrencox says above, you can never have enough driver training, or honing these at track days. And even then, there's always the unexpected -- the debris, the kangeroos (oh, you don't have them :sly: ) or, as may have been the case here, some oil/diesel spilt on the roundabout. The latter is not unexpected, in my experience, so I treat roundabouts with great care...they're not the same as a constant radius corner that you find on a track :noway:
  3. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

[Mar 12, 2009]
    poppycock! :tumble: (just kidding!)

A point well made, you have spurred me into action, I'm going to get myself on some driving courses :sly:
  4. dbm

dbm Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I've done both the Audi driving days in the UK, had great fun and learned some useful skills. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Glad to hear you are OK,

Cheers,
    Dan
  5. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    jeeze, looks nasty, I hope there is no further damage to be found! The auto shop my brother works in had a guy trying to return a wheel like that saying it just broke & he wanted a replacement...
  6. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Mar 13, 2009]
    Glad your ok andy, will you be buying stronger/heavier wheels? How much damage ££ wise
  7. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I guarantee you'll be faster, safer and more confident after doing this course:

http://www.drivetrain.uk.com/performance.htm

In fact it will improve you more than a remap does your car.

Audi Driving Experiences are nothing compared with the Drivetrain day. I can post links to many many recommendations for this company. :respekt:

p.s. if you was doing 70mph on a roundabout then it's highly likely you were speeding as hardly any (if any) are subject to the speed of the main road. Most take the speed of the secondary road joining the main road.

Also, Audi's with quattro - steady in, get inside front hooked up and nail it just before the apex. It's more like the classic slow in/fast out. Fast in/don't come out ain't the way to go.
  8. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Mar 13, 2009]
    Interesting point this.

Because I know Im an average driver at best, with no track expertise etc.

I probably chicken out miles before I reach the cars limits.

So some formal training would help me `push on a bit more` and get more more out the car.

Useful post Mr Cox.
    Take a bow.

Cheers
    paul
  9. mhill

mhill Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 13, 2009]
    What sort of driver training days are recomended?
  10. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I think you need a mix.
    The Silverstone crib training teaches you to deal with avoidance tactics, utilization of ABS, aquaplaning, handling over/understeer, ice skid control and finally you finish with a real world on road driving assessment by an ex-police driver. All disciplines are marked and scored.
    The SEAT day I went on was unique, as we had BTCC/SCC drivers showing us how to cope with high speed circuit driving. Almost everyone was over agressive and all mistakes seemed to come from turning the steering wheel a quarter turn too far, or not wiping off sufficient speed ahead of a corner. You will not believe what an everyday road car can do in the hands of an expert, it is staggering. I must have shouted f**k 50 times on my flying laps! As this was a special event set up by SEAT at the height of their BTCC success I Am not sure howyou could replicate it. The link set by the chap above may be worth investigating, but I have a contact at Future Motorsport who may be able to put us in the right direction.
  11. mhill

mhill Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 13, 2009]
    Yer if anything comes up with your contact i could be interested depending on price & location.
  12. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Mar 13, 2009]
    Flippin eck Andy, glad to hear you are ok, wich we could all say the same about your wheel...

Good luck in getting it all sorted.
  13. Woob

Woob Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    you know you have to turn that wheel into some kinda of ornament now.
  14. S3 Big Andy

S3 Big Andy Stealth Beast Baby Yay

[Apr 22, 2009]
    New pictures....

In the first one is the kerb I hit, then the dots are my alloys digging in, in the 3rd picture is the 2nd kerb I hit, then just pics of the re-build.

Hoping to have the car back by next weekend ready for a quick RWYB on the 9th, Stoner at the end of month then Modball!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]d[​IMG]
  15. WiZBiT

WiZBiT Member

[Apr 22, 2009]
    Awesome, a picture of a kerb :thumbsup:
  16. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 22, 2009]
    Glad to hear the car is back on the road (or very close to it).

Was speaking to Revo Kev about your car this week!
  17. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Apr 22, 2009]
    Doing things in style! Is the front off for MODs or due to the collision? I thought it was just the wheel & disc etc that got it?